Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red face Re: Three Overlapping Circles - making a Venn Diagram

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You never said we could not use rectangles. It is my math for the math-challenged solution.
    Gary, my bad. I thought the intent was clear in
    Again, the construction is to be as simple and as accurate as the Xara Desktop application allows.
    This time, any of the circles can be cloned for use in your construction.
    There was an implicit back-reference to the other Challenges that was implicit, not explicit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Three Overlapping Circles - making a Venn Diagram

Well also I think you were looking for how different people do things, no? When I was an art director and used magic markers and Pentel to create my advertising layouts, when I needed to center something on the page, like a headline for example, I made tick marks on a separate piece of paper the width of the headline, then folded it in half to determine the center. Again this was what I called math for the math-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well also I think you were looking for how different people do things, no? When I was an art director and used magic markers and Pentel to create my advertising layouts, when I needed to center something on the page, like a headline for example, I made tick marks on a separate piece of paper the width of the headline, then folded it in half to determine the center. Again this was what I called math for the math-challenged.
    Wholly accepted. My solutions only require an understanding of symmetry, intuitive but a high concept in mathematics. No numbering involved so very similar to your symmetrical folding.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Here's an all circle method:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ven.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	122477  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Okay, why 55.3% ... since it's very specific, there must be a reason?

I also don't believe that you've completed the challenge ... "This Challenge it to present three overlapping circles whose centres touch the edge of the other two circles."

Do your centres touch the edge?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Spot on Keith, the factor should be 62.88% to get the centres touching. Woods & Trees etc.

Not 100% correct, but I'll be back!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

63.44% is the closest I can get

VIDEO
    Egg

Great challenges Acorn. Brain teasing.

Here's some intesting images made from the challenges:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venn-2.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	122479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venn-3.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	122480  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venn-4.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	122481  
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Great challenges Acorn. Brain teasing.
    Here's some intesting images made from the challenges:
    Fascinating Egg. You can begin to see how the Alhambra Mosque tessellations and friezes are built up.
    As its builders didn't have calculators, I suggest that any of our solutions involving sums are going to not pass my success criteria.
    As your images here demonstrate: symmetry.

Acorn

It annoys me that I can't work out the exact mathematic formula required to set the required factor (in my youth I'm sue I could have ) I can only do it via ratios now and that tends to be hit and miss and not mathematically correct, just a close proximety.
    Egg