Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Please Improve the 3D Tool

Every picture tells a story...

Please may we have a true vector output version of the 3D tool, similar to that of the Extrusion Tool in the 2017 iteration of CorelDraw.
    If it is not possible, might we please be informed of this, so that we are then in a position to make a decision on whether or not it is
    worthwhile sticking with XDP?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extrusion Demo.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	122416  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Please Improve the 3D Tool

25 views of my attachment and nobody has mentioned the artefacts that are visible in my attached screenshot. I will attach the Xara file so that you may view in better detail what appear to be (dare I say) pixels around the edge of the line of the 'S' in what is supposed to be a vector 3D drawing. This was the point I was trying to make in my original post. Xara has created a hybrid 3D tool and should instead concentrate on eradicating these pixellated effects, which might look insignificant, but if blown up to billboard size on an advertising hoarding, would look pretty shabby. The shiny graphics that are produced by the lighting effects within the 3D Tool have produced a tool that is, in my opinion, not fit for purpose.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

iamtheblues, I took your Thread and Post to be a re-inforcement of an already known limitation that has been asked of Xara to fix (urgently).
    It is always good to see real-world examples of where the application fails.

The kludge that has been discussed around this is to make the extrusion as big as possible and then make a bitmap copy, which on rescaling back reduces the jaggies, but at a cost.

I did not think the CorelDraw extrusion to be a proper extrusion but I can see it is a vector.
    In XDPX, i would have used the Blend tool, cloned the blend and Added Shapes and removed its fill and thickened the remaining line.

You can achieve vectors with CSS3 box and text shadows too.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for replying, Acorn. 'Kludge: a haphazard or makeshift solution to a problem and especially to a computer or programming problem'.
    That doesn't sound at all promising. I disremember when the 3D Tool was introduced, but its limitations have been known (at least to this user) for some considerable time.
    It cannot be too difficult to simplify the tool, rather than do the opposite, but then, what I know about programming could easily fit on the back of a cigarette packet, even with the Government Health Warning on it.
    The CorelDraw Extrusion Tool produces a basic look, I agree, but the vector result beats the current Xara output.
    I have used the Blend Tool method in the past, which is also a kludge, but if simplicity is all that is needed then it is as good as anything else. See green example. The beauty of Xara's 3D Tool, (ignoring the bitmap element) can produce spectacular results (see the R I made).
    I'd settle for something that was pure vector output, even if fairly basic in the short term...
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New!.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	122451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	122452