Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Emulate Mobile Phones on Desktop Computer

Which are the best websites for emulating various mobile phones on a desktop computer?

Default Re: Emulate Mobile Phones on Desktop Computer

Hmm. Not sure. Here's what a search turned up. Take your pick. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=websites+f...&t=ffsb&ia=web

In Chrome > Developer Tools (F12), there is an icon, Toggle device toolbar, that resizes the viewport to those devices it knows.
    You can also edit and create your own entries.

It does not pretend to be that device or specific browser, just its screen size.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Read my issue with the new iPhones and latest andriod viewing horizontally on dear xara.

If you are doing a site here and there then the suggestion from Acorn above is a good start, but if you are doing this for clients then you need to have an iOS phone, an iPad and and Android phone and Tablet at the very least. There is no substitute for the real thing (with all of their own little foibles). You do not have to test every single break point and every single device but the four I have mentioned plus obviously a desktop/laptop work great.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    If you are doing a site here and there then the suggestion from Acorn above is a good start, but if you are doing this for clients then you need to have an iOS phone, an iPad and and Android phone and Tablet at the very least. There is no substitute for the real thing (with all of their own little foibles). You do not have to test every single break point and every single device but the four I have mentioned plus obviously a desktop/laptop work great.
    It's important to have real devices to test with, but it's also important to test across multiple device widths.

I would say that picking a few device size emulations is OK, but varying the browser width on the desktop can be a very useful tool and the quickest way to spot issues.

Behad's problem seems to be because the display does not automatically scale to the device width and the breakpoints on Xara templates don't fit well with every device - specifically the iPhone XR.

If I am wrong about this, please correct me.
    Last edited by pauland; 21 October 2018 at 11:40 PM.

Yes your correct I was just at the apple store to test this problem out and it still remains an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Yes your correct I was just at the apple store to test this problem out and it still remains an issue.
    It's my mistake, I was thinking of your thread when replying to this one. Harryd just wanted advice on viewing sites.

The chrome inspect tool is the only one that can give and idea as to how your website will display. That is why now and then I go to an apple store, specially with the new screens that the X's have the screen does not fit well. I have also used https://www.browserstack.com and they are expensive, plus they do not carry the latest iphones. So yes, if you can get yourself an apple phone, and ipad and an andriod then you can test them out but anywhere else on the internet you will not get the auto fit screen effect from a software. I believe it is hardware that fits the screen within the viewing area. @Rob can chime in on this, their team is looking into break points and why the new phones have issue with this.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    The chrome inspect tool is the only one that can give and idea as to how your website will display.
    That is not correct.

The browser-width tip I suggested will help show any issues related to the device width. What it will not do is give a 100% representation because it's not the actual hardware or the mobile browser. Cloud is absolutely right that we should keep some real devices for testing.

That is why now and then I go to an apple store, specially with the new screens that the X's have the screen does not fit well. I have also used https://www.browserstack.com and they are expensive, plus they do not carry the latest iphones. So yes, if you can get yourself an apple phone, and ipad and an andriod then you can test them out but anywhere else on the internet you will not get the auto fit screen effect from a software. I believe it is hardware that fits the screen within the viewing area. @Rob can chime in on this, their team is looking into break points and why the new phones have issue with this.
    I think it's bad practice designing for specific phones. The number of people who will have that specific phone will be very low.

Design your screens for a range of display widths that will work well, not just the iPhone XR. I doubt Xara can retro fit all their templates for every phone on the market.