Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: JUST RELEASED: A New Version of Xara Web Designer

Hi Spamiky - you can upgrade your Humble Bundle Designer Pro to the new v16 but yes the upgrade price is €129 inc VAT, if you are in a EURO country. That is the upgrade price from all older versions without an Update Service, and also the price for renewing an expired Update Service. In other words there is not a special upgrade price for Humble Bundle owners.

Kate Moir, Xara

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Hi Spamiky - you can upgrade your Humble Bundle Designer Pro to the new v16 but yes the upgrade price is €129 inc VAT, if you are in a EURO country. That is the upgrade price from all older versions without an Update Service, and also the price for renewing an expired Update Service. In other words there is not a special upgrade price for Humble Bundle owners.
    Kate Moir, Xara
    Kate, I know Xara is not directly involved in the marketing of the Xara Desktop applications and has no say over Magix and what bundles it arranges with other merchants.
    I did not partake of the Humble Bundle offer as I already have all the Xara Desktop applications fully licensed for my purposes.

Do correct me but I believe the Humble Bundle was v15.1 with the Update Service for a year?
    Your website, http://www.xara.com/us/update-service/, states:
    We promise to continue optimizing and developing software which includes the Update Service. We will regularly publish new features and templates throughout the year
    You further assert in http://shared.xara.com/diNpZUgi2O/:
    Update Service - Access to and free usage of new features released during the 365 days after you purchase.
    v15.0 was released 12 December 2017; v16.0 on 15 October 2018, when all were expecting v15.2. The Update Service "promised" regular updates in the year and we were told to expect 3 or 4.
    Jumping early into v16.0 seems to be a convenient shutter to avoid any further updates to v15. I also recall Magix required Xara to align product versions (from v12 to v15) so perhaps it requested v16.0 instead of v15.2?

My Post https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...114#post600114 seems to nail the situation: those who took the $25 offer get v15.1, end of, despite what Humble advised individuals.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The Humble Bundle versions don't include an Update Service. Like pre-Update Service versions you have to buy an upgrade. However I think the concern in the other thread was that HB owners might not be able to upgrade at all, or that Magix might charge HB owners more than the regular upgrade / renewal price. That is not the case.

Kate Moir, Xara

The Humble Bundle versions don't include an Update Service. Like pre-Update Service versions you have to buy an upgrade. However I think the concern in the other thread was that HB owners might not be able to upgrade at all, or that Magix might charge HB owners more than the regular upgrade / renewal price. That is not the case.
    Kate Moir, Xara
    Thank you Kate, the Humble Bundlers have access to the Online Content Catalogue so will content updates for v16 be made available to v15 owners (not just HBrs) where that content doesn't rely on v16 application code?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Webmaster - it's another crap for customers. Subscriptions - Upgrades were once a year. Errors were not corrected much.
    HB has never been reported to be a version without updates. The 2017 HB applications had normal updates as a full version. Then do not be surprised that customers are looking for new programs like Affinity Designer.

@Acorn, no they won't. My understanding is that Humble Bundle offerings are just like the old pre-Update Service versions in so far as you get no updates as you go along, only when you upgrade to the next version, and that includes content. I don't know much about Humble Bundle but having been told how much people paid for this HB Pro 15.1, including all the content (for 1 year if I understand HB correctly, just checking that with Magix), it sounds like an unbelievably good bargain even without upgrades (and honestly I wouldn't be happy if that price included a year of upgrades!). As far as I can tell, with the exception of Spamiky, customers are happy with the deal.

@Spamiky. It is not true that we only released upgrades once a year under the Update Service. See http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/whats-new/older/ for details of recent updates.

Kate Moir, Xara

@Acorn, no they won't. My understanding is that Humble Bundle offerings are just like the old pre-Update Service versions in so far as you get no updates as you go along, only when you upgrade to the next version, and that includes content. I don't know much about Humble Bundle but having been told how much people paid for this HB Pro 15.1, including all the content (for 1 year if I understand HB correctly, just checking that with Magix), it sounds like an unbelievably good bargain even without upgrades (and honestly I wouldn't be happy if that price included a year of upgrades!). As far as I can tell, with the exception of Spamiky, customers are happy with the deal.
    @Spamiky. It is not true that we only released upgrades once a year under the Update Service. See http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/whats-new/older/ for details of recent updates.
    Kate Moir, Xara
    Cheers Kate. I agreed $25 was still a bargain.

In future, I might consider it a route to accessing the Online Content Catalogue for material should my application go out of the Update Service cover. That is if Humble do another offer.

Acorn

I was also wondering why there was no notice of an update. Had I not been searching for the forum for other topics, would not have noticed the post either.
    Very poor approach to updating users, especially those who do not read these forums regularly.

Also found as in past, this is not an "upgrade" but a "replacement version" that is newer.
    XARA has yet to adopt the normal "upgrade" approach, but instead installs a newer version next to the old, leaving a manual process for the User to go clean up and remove the old version.

Just not so excited about these updates or the process to get them...

Frolin

My account shows: Update Service: Until 12/19/2018
    Why instead of update it offers me to pay?

Download the "trial" version and unlock it with your existing serial number.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.