Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: JUST RELEASED: A New Version of Xara Designer Pro X

For the first time ever I won't be updating/upgrading. The cost is ridiculous for what you get, even with a thrown in additional program I don't want.

Unlike previous years where I was worried about what wouldn't work any more, this time I'll just wait and see and work around any problems.

I've used Xara products since Artworks on the Acorn Archimedes but enough is enough. Another previously loyal customer bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    I've used Xara products since Artworks on the Acorn Archimedes ... For the first time ever I won't be updating/upgrading.
    Hats off for lasting so long! I used to upgrade each time too, but this is only the second in the last eight or nine I've taken. Pending the outcome of my support ticket, I'll take a refund and go back a few versions again though.

Finally the time has come! This is the first more or less interesting release in recent years. It's good news. If there is a good offer, I will upgrade. The usefulness of the program, quality of service
    and the frequency of updates, I estimate at 70€. 129€ is not a lot of money too, but not an adequate price for a few improvements. We still do not know how it works.

Yesterday I watched courses in further education schools(Volkshochschule is popular schools in DE for adult, who wish to gain new elementary and advanced skills).
    Now they are teaching Adobe and Affinity. While Xara was chewing snot, Serif had "tore up" everyone with their Affinity line. Bingo!!!!

Just wondering: Is someone subscribe a xara cloud?

I just watched "Dear Xara..." The number of green bugs is impressive. I was wrong. 70€ for the upgrade is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    ...PGD 16 coming very soon.
    Thanks Rob, that's good to hear. A few more new tools like the colour pallet thing would have been welcome, but still, nice to have an update now and then!
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

That's just Magix marketing, I wish I was on what they are half the time.
    Love it Rob!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    We’ve released updates to Xara Designer Pro X and Web Designer, available now.

As promised we have been working away on Open Type and Table support and there are significant enhancements to both, which I’m sure will be welcome here on TG. Another highlight is a powerful new graphic design tool, ‘color palette from photo’, which analyses a photo, identifies the predominant colors and creates a color palette of Theme Colors based on those colors which you can then use in your document.

You can find full details on these and other new features in the Release Notes @ http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/designer-pro-x16/ and http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/web-designer-16/

If you have an active Update Service then you can access this update now for free. NOTE you need to re-download the software, there is no auto-update. You can uninstall your current version or run it alongside if you prefer, and it uses the same serial number.
    http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/download/
    http://www.xara.com/web-designer/download/

If your Update Service has expired then you can renew your Update Service / upgrade in order to get this and other updates since your version. Go to the Designer Pro or Web Designer page on magix.com and click Upgrade.

Also since we have moved on to v16 you have the opportunity to download the trial and try it again, even if you have run the trial of a previous version.

One final point, there is no 32 bit version, we will no longer be producing them.

I hope you enjoy the new features,

Kate Moir, Xara
    Hi Kate,

What happens after the 1 November upgrade deadline? Does that mean I can no longer upgrade? Or do I then have to pay full price?

I have both Xara Designer Pro X and Web Designer Premium. It seems to me that, as the upgrades for these both have the same new features, it would be much cheaper for me to just upgrade Web Designer.

= Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevegill View Post
    Hi Kate,
    What happens after the 1 November upgrade deadline? Does that mean I can no longer upgrade? Or do I then have to pay full price?
    I have both Xara Designer Pro X and Web Designer Premium. It seems to me that, as the upgrades for these both have the same new features, it would be much cheaper for me to just upgrade Web Designer.
    = Steve
    Steve, i assume you are looking at http://content.magix.net/newsfeeds/x...S/en/index.htm or similar.

Magix handles marketing and every time a deadline has been reached, it is magixally extended. You will never have to pay full price foran upgrade or buy-in to the Update Service, until Magix proves me wrong.

I personally stopped updating my XWDP in favour of just extending XDPX. It costs more but XDPX has many more features over XWDP. If, however, you rarely use these then flip.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Steve, i assume you are looking at http://content.magix.net/newsfeeds/x...S/en/index.htm or similar.

Magix handles marketing and every time a deadline has been reached, it is magixally extended. You will never have to pay full price foran upgrade or buy-in to the Update Service, until Magix proves me wrong.

I personally stopped updating my XWDP in favour of just extending XDPX. It costs more but XDPX has many more features over XWDP. If, however, you rarely use these then flip.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

Thanks for responding. I much prefer XDPX and have Version 15. However, the upgrade price for XWDP is less than half the upgrade price of XDPX, and yet the new features are exactly the same as far as I can tell. So I figure I could upgrade XWDP to get the new features and then use both XWDP and XDPX, depending on what I'm doing at the time. Once a version of XDPX comes out that has features unique to it I would then consider upgrading XDPX. So far there hasn't been any compelling reasons as the updates have been few and far between.

One thing I find curious is that after upgrading XDPX last time, Xara/Magix promised continual release of new features instead of annual releases, and yet nothing worthwhile came until after the update plan expired. They said they weren't going to do yearly updates like they did before (which I preferred) and yet the upgrade offer I received said renew your update plan and receive version 16 of XDPX.

It looks like they're trying to have it both ways.

Anyway, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. It used to be so easy to make a decision to upgrade but now it's just frustrating. Maybe I won't upgrade either product.

= Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Magix handles marketing and every time a deadline has been reached, it is magixally extended. You will never have to pay full price foran upgrade or buy-in to the Update Service, until Magix proves me wrong.Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

You're right. It's been extended, and the additional software included looks like it could be a lot more useful than the photo thing they were offering before.

= Steve