Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Anyone care to vote on your favourite Web-page editor? I mostly do hand-coding in Ultra-Edit, but certain tasks are best done elsewhere. I just wanted to know what people are using out there...

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Hey Deep ,

Yep I use FP2000 .... makes tables an absolute pleasure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-------
    Kind Regards
    Some Crazy SA Gal
    IP

Anyone care to vote on your favourite Web-page editor? I mostly do hand-coding in Ultra-Edit, but certain tasks are best done elsewhere. I just wanted to know what people are using out there...

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    IP

Mainly I use Dreamweaver. I have been using it for a long time. But I also do a lot of manual coding as well. I usually used to suggest against using Front Page because it was a Microsoft product - meaning that it rendered better in Internet Explorer than it did in Netscape. Now I have been told that the FrontPage 2000 version has cross browser abilitly. So I can now recommend it to others.Logo & Web Page Designs Inc. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

MartyLogo

Logo & Web Page Designs Inc.
    IP

Hi Deep ...

Good question! I'll be interested to see the end result. I voted but had to add that HomeSite, to me, is the best! Only for PCs I'm afraid, though I have it on good authority that BBEdit is the Mac equivalent. It should be noted that Dreamweaver uses Homesite for the HTML backend. I use Dreamweaver as well, but for the nitty gritty and all code changes, Homesite is my choice. Couldn't do without its extended Search & Replace feature!!

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

Hi girls,

SCSAG - do you use FrontPage 2000? I'm not a big fan of it. Granted, it's MUCH better than it used to be (with Office '97 and all), but it's still a pain to use. I'll do veeeeeeeeery basic things with it, and for anything else I use UltraEdit or BBEdit (or PICO if I'm on a Unix machine...hehehehe). But 2000 has improved to the point where I can't turn my nose up at it anymore - even though it pains me to say it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As for the RegExp stuff, no worries, Jen. It's actually REALLY easy once you start using it a bit. Have you done any Perl, yet? That's how I picked it up - just started making basic Perl scripts and it was a must-know. At first it was daunting, but not more than an hour or two later, I was using them as if I were born to it! Granted, I still find them annoying and non-intuitive, but hey...at least it's not Assembly Language! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    IP

So many choices! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Well, I've always preferred hand-coding, myself, so I'll probably stick with UltraEdit as much as possible, but I've heard so much good stuff about HomeSite lately, that I'm tempted to check it out. HoTMetaL Pro has been highly recommended, too. There's even new stuff out there that I've never heard of! I'm actually somewhat surprised I haven't seen Arachnophilia posted here at all - does anyone know if that's still being developed? It was the first piece of "careware" I'd ever seen and for some odd reason still brings back good memories of NCSA Mosaic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback - keep it coming!

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    IP

When I was looking for a good web design program , I downloaded the demos for HotMetal and Homesite and I found I liked the program from www.namo.com called Web Editor 4. I just found it was organized better (right click menu was used efficiently) and thus easier to use .... it seems to be pretty extensive in abilities (as extensive as the other two). It got a high mark at cnet.com too (not that reviwers are always right ... and I based my decision entirely on my using the demo). The demo is 45 days I think which is plenty of time to get you dependant on it :-).

David King
    IP

Thanks Deep for Intro to RegExp 101 - much appreciated! Now to find time to sit down and play/put it into practice.

Hi scsag!
    Well, whatever gets the job done, I always say! Hope that FrontPage has improved since the old bloated code days. Even though bandwidth becomes less and less an issue with high-speed cable/DSL hookups more commonplace, the pundits say we still only have 7 seconds to snag that viewer.

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I'm a developer by trade, but seem to find myself writing more and more HTML these days.

I actually use a program called MultiEdit for most editing tasks (including HTML) - it is amazingly customisable and very fast (if you have lots of time to sit down and configure it). It has all the things you need (colour coded tags, regexp search/replace, macros, highly customizable etc etc). I think UltraEdit is a little cheaper and potentially a little more intuitive though.

I have used the cursed FP before and hated it (especially the 97 version which was a real pain). I had a dabble with DreamWeaver and found it intuitive to use but haven't had the chance to look at it properly.

I also use Visual Interdev for some things (which is especially good for scripting etc)

One thing I have seen recently is the new .NET product, which has autocomplete on all HTML tags, basically meaning you type the first few letters of the tag and it gives you a dropdown list of the available matches, and once the tag is there, you get the same for each of the attributes available to it (no more searching books/online help to find that elusive attribute). Its awesome, and potentially will wrangle its way into the next Front Page, which may mean I might start taking notice of it again!

(and I still end up using notepad as well, 'cos its the only thing available on all machines!)

James
    IP