Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yeah, I'd love to rate other development tools, but I was sticking to just HTML/low-end stuff. Visual Interdev is pretty cool, but it does WAY more than just HTML. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'd put that more in a poll with stuff like Visual Age and CodeWarrior and stuff like that...although I'd love to stick CodeWarrior on the list...hehehe.

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Mainly I use Dreamweaver. I have been using it for a long time. But I also do a lot of manual coding as well. I usually used to suggest against using Front Page because it was a Microsoft product - meaning that it rendered better in Internet Explorer than it did in Netscape. Now I have been told that the FrontPage 2000 version has cross browser abilitly. So I can now recommend it to others.Logo & Web Page Designs Inc. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

MartyLogo

Logo & Web Page Designs Inc.
    IP

Hey Deep ,

Yep I use FP2000 .... makes tables an absolute pleasure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-------
    Kind Regards
    Some Crazy SA Gal
    IP

If you want the best combination of hand-coding environments in combination with stuff to relieve the drudgery of hand-coding, get Homesite. They have a WYSIWYG development thingy too but I don't like WYSIWYG modules generating code for me. They add stuff I don't want which makes debugging a chore.

Anyway, you'll fallin love with Homesite - believe me!!!

zitterbe
    IP

Dear Deep,just a guy;

I am getting very good with my pages using a combination of HotMetal from SoftQuad and CoffeeCup. I have spent over twenty thousand dollars on software and upgrades since I started.I have spent
    about a thousand dollars buying just about all the HTML apps. I have even used Dreamweaver at my buddy's office. Dreamweaver intuitive? An intuitive app is one I can start using right out of the box without even reading the manual. Dreamweaver is a typical Macromedia product. After two afternoons, I had managed to make a table. A simple table. Then my buddy helped me out a little. I am sure glad I don't have to use that everyday.
    Neither of these was mentioned in the poll. If you check out HotMetal, you'll find it is more intuitive than FP and keeps
    things cleaner too. It has four interface styles at once and the one I like best is the tags on interface. True I'm not a code warrior, but my buddy who is likes HM a lot. And if you include BBEdit, CoffeeCup has them beat by two quantum jumps. And I've used that one for years on the Mac. You can feel good if you catch a trout on a fly with a two pound test leader but when you eat it it tastes the same as if you had used a spinner or a nitecrawler.

But I ain't no code warrior. And I'm darned if I'm going to buy more expensive software just to see if it will do the trick.
    Twenty thousand, dude. That's a lotta cash.

buddycom
    buddycom
    IP

Hiya folks!

Mark here from "The Photoshop Guru's Handbook".

I use Homesite 2.5 (eeek! haha), and Dreamweaver 3; exclusively. I've recently started using AceHTML though too. It has some nifty features, but lacks certain others i've come to depend on with Homesite.

I've been hand-coding since i started doing this stuff. My tastes are tainted i think towards wysiwyg editors. But in todays market, visual editors appear to be making a surge. Good for them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yes... Homesite 2.5! Alas, i hate what's been done to the program since that version. I feel it's been developed in the wrong directions for what i use it for - a beefed-up notepad editor.

Dreamweaver is NOT difficult to use. I only use that though for more complex designs, that are more easily conceptualized in a visual environment. Two hours after reading Macromedia's excellent help files, i could do most anything in the program. I really like how they suggest you design initially using the Layers, then convert them to tables when the layout has been realized. That's a definate time saver where huge elaborate tables are concerned. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anywho, that's my input. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Take care all,
    Mark...
    IP

When I was looking for a good web design program , I downloaded the demos for HotMetal and Homesite and I found I liked the program from www.namo.com called Web Editor 4. I just found it was organized better (right click menu was used efficiently) and thus easier to use .... it seems to be pretty extensive in abilities (as extensive as the other two). It got a high mark at cnet.com too (not that reviwers are always right ... and I based my decision entirely on my using the demo). The demo is 45 days I think which is plenty of time to get you dependant on it :-).

David King
    IP

Hi everyone. I've used Dreamweaver since the beginning, GoLive (started on the beta team) and FrontPage 2000 (only when I have to for one Editor) and Dreamweaver and Homesite have me hooked hands down!

Dreamweaver is wonderful and lets me hand code with messing anything up.

My 2 cents
    Joyce Evans
    IP

So many choices! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Well, I've always preferred hand-coding, myself, so I'll probably stick with UltraEdit as much as possible, but I've heard so much good stuff about HomeSite lately, that I'm tempted to check it out. HoTMetaL Pro has been highly recommended, too. There's even new stuff out there that I've never heard of! I'm actually somewhat surprised I haven't seen Arachnophilia posted here at all - does anyone know if that's still being developed? It was the first piece of "careware" I'd ever seen and for some odd reason still brings back good memories of NCSA Mosaic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback - keep it coming!

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

I was interested in the results! I, myself, like the challenge of using NotePad.

In fact, I have a written a tutorial on Beginning HTML on my website. I have been surprised at the interest and the e-mails I have received since posting it!

http://www.geocities.com/ogeefire

No matter what Web Editor one uses I think that it is important to understand the basics of HTML.

<html>
    "Ogee Fire" aka Carrie: FREE web graphics http://www.geocities.com/ogeefire
    </html>
    IP