Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Tables - CSV Data import

Dear Xara...

Really!?

No guidance whatsoever.
    Is this to cover up the mess the CSV Import is presenting?

I tried with this and Table 02 and the following clean CSV data from MS Excel:
    Ser, Date, Tuition Fees, Lodgings, Bursary, Transfer, Repay, Available
    1, Wed 29 Aug 2018, , , , " £1,000.00 ", , "£1,000.00"
    2, Mon 03 Sep 2018, , , , " £1,000.00 ", , "£2, 000.00"
    3, Mon 01 Oct 2018, , , , " £1,737.05 ", , "£3,737.05"
    4, Wed 17 Oct 2018, "-£1,156.25 ", -£580.77 , , , , "£2,000.03"
    5, Fri 26 Oct 2018, , , £300.00 , , , "£2,300.03"
    6, Thu 01 Nov 2018, , , , " £1, 737.05 ", , "£4,037.08"
    7, Wed 14 Nov 2018, "-£1,156.25 ", -£580.80 , , , , "£2,300.03"
    8, Fri 30 Nov 2018, , , £300.00 , , , "£2,600.03"
    9, Sat 01 Dec 2018, , , , " £1,737.05 ", , "£4,337.08"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSV Fail.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	122364

To get even this far was a miracle!

Can we please have some guidance.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Tables - CSV Data import

Yes, a lot of guidance here would help!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Dear Xara...

It works better with Tab Separated Data!
    I think even here blank cells have to be quoted.
    How can you make such a fundamental error? CSV vs. TSV.

I am not going to check further until you advise what is going on.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dear Xara...
    It works better with Tab Separated Data!
    I think even here blank cells have to be quoted.
    How can you make such a fundamental error? CSV vs. TSV.
    I am not going to check further until you advise what is going on.
    Acorn
    No notiification but the Release Notes > "Table Improvements", http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/designer-pro-x16/, now suggest it is Tab Separated Variables (TSV).

@Xara, So you have let the developers produce a TSV Import for Tables yet keep CSV for Charts!
    I want to render data as both chart and table and now I have to maintain two datasets.

Still guessing how to make it work though.

Acorn

Yes, it's currently a proper dogs dinner
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So, is there still no way to import a CSV file?

I have a table I want to periodically refresh (once a week) from an Excel spreadsheet. If this can't be done, then we have a non-starter.

Alan

I have a table I want to periodically refresh (once a week) from an Excel spreadsheet. If this can't be done, then we have a non-starter.
    Hi Alan, I don't know the answer using Xara tables. However I often use Google Drives Sheets. Create a Sheet in Drive (you can import a .xls sheet) and choose Publish to the Web. You can then copy an embed link and put this in a placeholder in Xara.

Edit the Google Drive sheet and it automatically updates the published webpage (not instantly but within less than 2 minutes)
    Egg

Rob gave instructions on how to populate tables in this POST

The data has to be TSV not CSV and has to be pasted from the clipboard when the first table cell is selected with the text tool.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    Rob gave instructions on how to populate tables in this POST
    The data has to be TSV not CSV and has to be pasted from the clipboard when the first table cell is selected with the text tool.
    It is still a sorry state when the Xara designers cannot properly specify the use cases for structured data that is common across all Smart Tables and Charts that can be linked externally as well as embedded.

Still dreaming,
    Acorn