Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Attaching Text Inside

Dear Xara...

Why is there still not an option to Fit Text Inside Shape, akin to Fit Text to Curve, when a text shape and an object are both selected?
    Little thought on the usability seems to have been made.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Attaching Text Inside

Hi Acorn:
    I recently upgraded from Web Designer to Designer Pro X. The manual indicates you're supposed to be able to draw an object, select it, then click the text tool and click inside the object. You're supposed to be able to add text that stays within the object, adjust padding, automatically adjust font size, etc. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK! Have you heard any more on this issue? Thanks.

Hi Acorn,

Can you show us an illustration please?

@STS
    It works for me. I draw an object, and with it selected click on T and a box pops up with 3 choices. See the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara text in an object.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	123035
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

It appears I was running the wrong version. I had Designer Pro X 365. I have to say the upgrade process is not straightforward. Anyhow, I've now downloaded and registered Designer Pro 16 and it works. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Hi Acorn,

Can you show us an illustration please?

@STS
    It works for me. I draw an object, and with it selected click on T and a box pops up with 3 choices. See the image.

Name:	Xara text in an object.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	123035
    John, I was asking for the dual selection of a shape and existing text.

It is a workflow issue so not demonstrable. The steps currently are:
    Select and copy the text line, column or area.
    Right-click the object and pick Add Text Inside.
    Chose one of the four options from the pop-up; On Top and cancel are redundant.
    If I chose one of the wrong others, I can only roll back and rework.
    I want to toggle Auto-fit (default) with Fixed inside, not play around.

I expect if both text and object are selected then on picking Add Text Inside, it does just that.

I feel the User Interface is being traduced with the variety of differing workflows for similar actions.
    Throwing pop-up dialogs in the way is not productive.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for the workflow. However, when I select/copy text and right-click an object, and pick Add Text Inside, I get only 3 selections, "On Top" is no longer on the list. If I select one of them, say Auto-fit, the copied text is not pasted, but I get a cursor. If I start typing and then paste my text, the pasted text does not take on the auto-fit attribute. In my case, the pasted text was smaller. Then, typing some text after the pasted text continues taking on the Auto-fit attribute.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong here? How can one paste text into the object to get it to Auto-fit? Or is this something that is lacking?

Name:	Xara auto-fit text1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	123038

I understand your other part about not being able to change from Auto-fit to Fixed-inside and vice versa after accepting it the first time.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Hi Acorn,

Thanks for the workflow. However, when I select/copy text and right-click an object, and pick Add Text Inside, I get only 3 selections, "On Top" is no longer on the list. If I select one of them, say Auto-fit, the copied text is not pasted, but I get a cursor. If I start typing and then paste my text, the pasted text does not take on the auto-fit attribute. In my case, the pasted text was smaller. Then, typing some text after the pasted text continues taking on the Auto-fit attribute.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong here? How can one paste text into the object to get it to Auto-fit? Or is this something that is lacking?

Name:	Xara auto-fit text1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	123038

I understand your other part about not being able to change from Auto-fit to Fixed-inside and vice versa after accepting it the first time.
    John, you need to delete the trailing return character or select it first and then paste. Do not start typing as this assumes all pasted text thereafter is pasted at its original size. To get out of it, you need to select all text and then set to Normal text Style and it all resets properly.

It is a powerful tool but so easy to go wrong.

The On Top option is magically elsewhere just now. It is late.

Acorn

Acorn,

That was it! Thank you and goodnight.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)