Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Rigmarole of v16.0 Download

Dear Xara...

Would you advise Magix of the following failures in their installation for getting v16.0 working:

• Its page, https://www.magix.com/gb/photo-graph...-designer-pro/, for the Free trial link downloads v15 downloader as do all other links I have found.

• Once downloaded, the Local Designs gallery incorrectly shows all assets are "(updated)", whereas the local cache is empty.
      • No advice for all to open the Local Designs gallery and right-click Download All for each blue folder line.
      • N.B., this is a time-consuming exercise that should be a background service as the Update Service, when expired, stops this dead.

• Smart Transform is enabled so newbies will not have a clue how to squish or squash images.
      • In future default to disabled and advise what ST is supposed to do. I have yet to see a comprehensible explanation.

• There is similarly no advice on the existence of the Content Installer "The content installer adds additional content that is not included in the free trial. That includes additional fill styles for the Fill Gallery, fonts for the Fonts gallery and more spell checking dictionaries for other languages. It does not include any content for the Content Catalog / Local Designs Gallery - this is all available online in the catalog, but it does install fonts into Windows that are used by some of that content."
      • This needs to be a selectable option in the Installer.
      • For those not aware, use Help > Download content installer and Pan Studio.

• The user configuration for the toolbars is voided.
      • A means to copy out a user configuration and re-apply is all that is necessary.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Rigmarole of v16.0 Download

Agree,

There hasn't even been a post in TG Announcements to point TG users to the correct download page.
    I didn't get the design Gallery update though Acorn.
    Agree re the ST situation
    Agree re the content installer. The windows displayed during download/instillation or conflicting at the least.
    We all have requested toolbar configuration remain as previous for years!

Couple of other points. I don't think there's a 32 bit program any longer, only a 64 bit. If true it needs pointing out.
    On the plus side it didn't download other unwanted apps like simplecheck or whatever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	install.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	122360  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Eg, I couldn't remember what SimpliClean was called so I didn't mention the removal of a totally unwanted feature, though its loss is absolutely fantastic.
    Perhaps Magix does listen?

The lack of notification of the removal of 32-bit support is appalling. If it is the case (http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/#!) then Page & Layout Designer 11 is out there on its own.

http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/advanced/:
    64 bit version Designer Pro now takes advantage of the power of 64 bit, if your computer supports it, enabling you to create larger, more content rich documents - for example this is excellent news for anyone creating large websites with lots of high-resolution photos (typically 50 or more) where the memory limits of 32-bit Windows were becoming a problem.

User note:
    With 64-bit Windows you’re no longer limited to the 2 to 3 GB RAM available to the old 32-bit systems. Most current computers are provided with 64-bit Windows and typically have (or can have) more than 4 GBytes of RAM installed.
    No real explanation anywhere.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Upadte. I purchased a new computer today & installed 16. This time I got the same result as yourself re local design gallery showing (updated) which of course it wasn't. This wasn't the case on my old machine.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Upadte. I purchased a new computer today & installed 16. This time I got the same result as yourself re local design gallery showing (updated) which of course it wasn't. This wasn't the case on my old machine.
    Egg, thank you. It shows the coding has an unpredictability about it.

Acorn