Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Designer 11 Premium -- question, please

Hi everyone,

I frequently update my website for the Glenora Community Association. With the home page (index.htm), when I upload the whole document, everything other than the index page updates. If I go to another page then back to the home page, I get the updated version. But if I Google 'Glenora Community Association' I get the un-updated version of the home page. The web address is www.glenoracommunityassociation/, but to get the updated version one has to add 'index', which searchers wouldn't likely do.

Can you please suggest how to resolve this?

Many thanks,

Glenoran1

Default Re: Web Designer 11 Premium -- question, please

I don't have an answer to your question because I don't use web publishing within Xara. I do see however that URL is not loading.

The URL you Posted is not valid as it doesn't have a suffix (e.g., .com).

Have your purged your browser - use Ctrl+F5.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The URL you Posted is not valid as it doesn't have a suffix (e.g., .com).

Have your purged your browser - use Ctrl+F5.

Acorn
    Thanks, Acorn. I've just done the Ctrl+F5, but it didn't make a difference. If you Google 'Glenora Community Association', and click on the second entry (Glenora Community Association), the link below the name is glenoracommunityassociation.ca/. The home page that it opens is an older version. If you click on any of the other pages on the navigation bar, then click back on Home, it is different in the lower portion (a lot more photos).

Problem is, when people initially search for and click on 'Glenora Community Association', they don't get the updated version because the Home page has /index after it, which it has to have to be uploaded, from what I gather.

Any suggestions you can make to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Glenoran1

OK The CA is missing from your web address. For the page to load in the browser you do need the .CA extension. This automatically searches for a loads the index page. As Acorn points out if you do not see the changes immediately this is usually due to the browser caching your site and loading the page in the cache instead of the actual page with the changes. Ctrl + F5 usually forces the browser to load the current page from the server.

You're not following what is being said. Visit the site - www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca - Then click on any other heading, then click on HOME which loads the index.htm page ... it's not the same as the originally loaded page.

However, it does look like you have a index.html page and a index.htm page. The index.html page loads by default and the index.htm page is linked to the home button. You should probably delete the index.html page.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You've managed to get the site pages to link back to the page http://www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca/index.htm.
    Your old page is http://www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca/index.html, which is where http://www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca/ is going to.

You need to delete the http://www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca/index.html page and possibly then sort out whatever file (.htaccess) is doing the incorrect redirect.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Glen, your problem is that your url is pointing to http://www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca/index.html
    Note the additional 'L' (lower case) at the end of the url. You need to delete this page from your server & just leave index.htm (with no 'L'). It will then load as expected.

The reason for this is when you have various home pages the browser will always look for index.html first and if it exists, serve it up. If the .html file extension is not present it looks for index.htm and serves that up. then on downwards for home.html then home.htm etc

EDIT: Whoops cross posting!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Glen, your problem is that your url is pointing to http://www.glenoracommunityassociation.ca/index.html
    Note the additional 'L' (lower case) at the end of the url. You need to delete this page from your server & just leave index.htm (with no 'L'). It will then load as expected.

The reason for this is when you have various home pages the browser will always look for index.html first and if it exists, serve it up. If the .html file extension is not present it looks for index.htm and serves that up. then on downwards for home.html then home.htm etc

EDIT: Whoops cross posting!
    Many thanks for your help. I located the html page, using Search, but it shows it as being under 'Internet'. I haven't found any location on my computer that is called just 'Internet', nor anything in FileZilla that is an html file. Can you suggest how I can locate it so I can delete it? I'm assuming I'd have to delete it from the Internet, even if I found it on my computer.

Getting closer to the solution, and greatly appreciate your assistance.

It's not on your computer Glen, it will be on your web hosting companies web server.

Open Filezilla, go to your hosting and locate and delete the the index.html file. You may need to search for your sites default server folder, often named html_files these days. Get back if you have further problems.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host