Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Replace color in image with a specific color? Xara Designer Pro x15

Hi!

Still new to Xara so please forgive if this is a rookie question. I routinely do photo editing where I need to replace a color within the photo with another (specific) color. This was very easy to do in Gimp with the select by color/bucket fill tools. I've reviewed the threads on the color select & erase tool that lets you change hue, contrast, saturation, etc. using sliders but I'm looking for a quick way to replace with an exact color. Is this possible in Xara?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Replace color in image with a specific color? Xara Designer Pro x15

Aloha hiviz

I am not sure what version of Designer Pro you have but the more recent version have an option in the Photo Tool, Select Colors to Enhance. You click on a color or colors and adjust the Tolerance to include more or fewer colors.

Right click on the small circle on the screen for options or edit using the Enhance photo tools.

There is also Adjust Photo Hue which can make subtle or not so subtle color shifts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select colors to enhance.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	122349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjust photo hue.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	122350  

basically:

erase the colour you don't want
    put a shape behind that is coloured with the replacement colour - seect both and make a bitmap copy [at same resolution as original photo]

I am not up to speed with the more recent tools for erasing colour; I would still use the mehdi erase classic live effect, or better still the mehdi erase genuine that you can download free from their site, if I were to do this in xara but frankly I would do it in a raster app... less bother
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve - The option I recommended is very effective and intuitive for what hiviz is asking.

thanks Gary... actually as you will know there is difference between [for example] switching block colour in a bitmap logo and retinting a colour value in a continuous tone photograph... I think it was Covoxer who made the 'original' tutorial re colour change using mehdi erase back in the day

do the xara tools allow you to select by manually entering a colour value - just clicking on a continuous tone image and hoping to hit the right value is a hiding to nothing...
    Nothing lasts forever...

The select color to enhance works best when there is a strong difference between the colors. And to be honest I did not get all of the red out of the other colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	122351  

Thanks again - not sure I would prefer those tools to PS's but they work within the limitations of continuous tone selection and as well as the mehdi I guess for erase...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Gary - having got as far as selecting the area I want to change, there appears no way to select as specific HSV/RGB... value to replace it with - ok the put behind make bitmap copy works of course, but having got as far as selection why can't xara provide such an obvious option - or have I missed something ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here is a tutorial from Xara Zone that basicaly shows what Gary is talking about.

http://www.xaraxone.com/us/tutorial/..._color_select/

Ray