Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Two activations is too few

Dear Xara,

Please increase the number of permitted activations of Xara Photo & Graphic Designer from two computers to at least three.

I switch between three computers: a desktop at work, a desktop at home, and a personal laptop. No one else uses these computers. I store my Xara files in Dropbox so that I can access them from all three computers. Unfortunately, I have to keep an old version of Xara on one of these computers to avoid the hassle of juggling activated/deactivated licenses for the latest Xara version.

In contrast to Magix's restrictive two-activation limit, Affinity Designer puts no restriction on the number of activations: "As a private individual, you can download, install, use and run for personal use, one copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running either (depending on your purchased license) Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) or macOS (“Mac Computer”) that you personally own or control." (See https://affinity.store/en-us/help/.)

I've been a Xara customer since the product was named Xara Xtreme 4 and I've upgraded with every release. I'm nearing the end of my Xara Photo & Graphic Designer update service subscription. This year the two-activation straitjacket really has me debating whether it makes sense to renew when there are alternatives with more customer-friendly licensing.

Default Re: Two activations is too few

It used to be three ... I think that it only recently went down to two. Personally, I think that since Magix monitor every usage, then it would make sense not to limit the number of activations, but just to NOT ALLOW simultaneous use.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I am sure some signal goes from the software>internet>Magix/Xara to monitor usage. Not sure if xara does this but overall software companies back in the days they did without the users knowledge.

@Xara - can a Desktop application run in a Virtual Machine?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat