Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: resizing bitmap question

OK - I think I got it. Thanks you guys. Now I can get some things done!

~ Bal

Info Re: resizing bitmap question

Sorry, you were confused. I hope Xara reads this as it is dog's dinner that I have reported on more than once.

To summarise, the problem is around the function of the inner controls of a picture:
    1. You now have the Select Tool (standard black square) and the Photo Tool (blue-coloured circle) control points.
      1. Double-click a Photo to switch to the Photo Tool.
      2. Key press Alt+S to switch back to the Select Tool; this is a toggle mode.

2. Hidden, yes, hidden, under a right-click is a context menu with two tick options:
      1. Aspect ratio lock - totally nugatory action: left-click icon is now equivalent to right-icon and select this menu option.
      2. Smart transform

3. You finally have meta-keys:
      1. None
      2. Shift
      3. Ctrl
      4. Alt

Throw in an accidental click of a picture with the Text Tool active and you spiral further down.

To place all the above in context.
    A shape can be stretched or squashed regardless of the state of the hidden options.
    Text can be stretched or squashed with the Lock Aspect Ratio off.

trust your instincts and leave Smart Transform off at all times.
    Use the Select Tool for Squishing & Squashing.
    Use the Picture Tool for anything else.
    Skewing needs a bit more though and the Meta-keys here are sensible.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Okay, I have an issue, I've reinstalled 15.1 on an older laptop ... I have the Smart Transform OFF (you'll have to take my word for it, I can't make a screenshot with it showing), and I'm in the selector tool, but as you can see from the highlighted selection, SMART TRANSFORM still appears to be on ... I can't seem to get a standard SELECT TOOL display (even with ALT-S), what have I missed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018.09.27_12h56m59s_001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	122280  
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Okay, I have an issue, I've reinstalled 15.1 on an older laptop ... I have the Smart Transform OFF (you'll have to take my word for it, I can't make a screenshot with it showing), and I'm in the selector tool, but as you can see from the highlighted selection, SMART TRANSFORM still appears to be on ... I can't seem to get a standard SELECT TOOL display (even with ALT-S), what have I missed?
    Keith, another wrinkle.

Your Show selection bounds handles icon also needs to be depressed, the one immediately above the Select Tool.

Alt+S is toggling between Select and Photo.

What fun!
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Of course it does! Silly me, I never turn it off, so didn't think to turn it on when I reinstalled.

Thanks.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.