Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default resizing bitmap question

I just purchased DP X (15.1) and it is behaving differently from the earlier version. I'm hoping what I was able to do in the older version I can do in DP X.

Simple example. I have a coin - say a quarter. Now I want decrease just the height. To make change it from looking like it's standing on its edge, to making it look like it's lying flat.

Here's a picture that will hopefully show and explain it clearly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-dpx-quarter-question.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	122275

I hope there's an easy way to do this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

~ Bal

Default Re: resizing bitmap question

Bal, you may need to read through lots of Posts on the Squishy/Squashy situation, fixed in V15.1 where there is now the need to hold down the Alt key before dragging or disable Smart Transform.

You could also use the Default Envelope in the Mould tool.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Holding down Alt doesn't change the behavior. I either resize both height and width together, or I end up cropping the image.

And I'm assuming that disabling the Smart Transform is with the Lock on the Info Toolbar? I have it unchecked and still no luck. The image's aspect ratio remains unchanged or I can crop the image.

The only thing that seems to work for me is the Mould tool, which is something. Not ideal, but usable.

And, of course, I can use another editor before bringing an image into Xara. But I really don't like that solution.

Is there a video that shows how things are supposed to work? I'm guessing there are reasons for the change from what had been intuitive to me.

Thanks for working through this with me.

Much appreciated.

Regards,
    ~ Bal

OK - I figured it out. With Smart Transform turned off, there are handles within the frame handles, associated with the bitmap itself. When I hold down Shift (not Alt), I can resize width or height independently.

It's still not as intuitive as it was in the previous version, but I'll get used to this, and it will be fine.

Thanks again.

~ Bal

If I disable Smart Transform (yes in the right click fly out menu from Lock Aspect Ratio) then I can resize an image independently horizontally or vertically. And this is independent of Lock Aspect Ratio, for me it works both ways.

If this is not working for you try rebooting your computer. And if this does not change the behavior, then try the old standby, close the program, then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator.

The Alt key has to be selected before you click-drag.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not that it's a big deal, but on my machine, it's the Shift key, not the Alt key that enables me to do what I want. I have no idea what's making it different from your experience. But I'm good.

~ Bal