Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I installed Corel9 on Win2K, then needed old Fonts so installed ATM 4.0. Error pops up stating it's only supported by Win95. OK is only option. So you think it isn't installed. Wrong!! You have now killed the PS-font handling built-in in the Win2K. Go see the user forum for ATM WIN at http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...h^3@.ee9b8fe/2
    It's heart breaking to read the emails. ATM 4.1 will over write some problems, but a complete OS scrub & re-install seems to be the only answer. Adobe Techs are not clear when I spoke with them. 1-206-675-6126 they let me have one free call.
    They have a "white Paper" on uninstalling 4.0 but the tech says that doesn't undo the "break" in Win2K.
    Watch out cause this will happen with other softwares, no warning, no "Cancel Install" Let Microsoft know how you feel. KH [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    IP

I installed Corel9 on Win2K, then needed old Fonts so installed ATM 4.0. Error pops up stating it's only supported by Win95. OK is only option. So you think it isn't installed. Wrong!! You have now killed the PS-font handling built-in in the Win2K. Go see the user forum for ATM WIN at http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...h^3@.ee9b8fe/2
    It's heart breaking to read the emails. ATM 4.1 will over write some problems, but a complete OS scrub & re-install seems to be the only answer. Adobe Techs are not clear when I spoke with them. 1-206-675-6126 they let me have one free call.
    They have a "white Paper" on uninstalling 4.0 but the tech says that doesn't undo the "break" in Win2K.
    Watch out cause this will happen with other softwares, no warning, no "Cancel Install" Let Microsoft know how you feel. KH [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi Karen...
    Whoahh! That's really heavy-I'm surprised that Adobe let's something like that into its product.
    I have not had any experience with ATM, but I have had experience with OSs and corrupted system files. Is Windows functional - will it boot? If so, and if you installed ATM using Control Panel, use Control Panel to delete ATM. Then go into the Register, click Find, and do a search for all references to ATM, and delete them (make sure that the reference you delete is actually Adobe Type Manager-it should be pretty obvious). Then reinstall Windows right over the existing. Hopefully, it should reinstall the system files that were damaged. I have done this twice, and it worked for me. I can't quite remember if I booted to DOS and ran setup from there, or if I just used Control Panel, Install. I will check it out. Anyway, if you are going to hose the hadrdisk anyway, can it hurt, and maybe it will save you some pain.
    Bob
    IP

Hi Karen...
    Whoahh! That's really heavy-I'm surprised that Adobe let's something like that into its product.
    I have not had any experience with ATM, but I have had experience with OSs and corrupted system files. Is Windows functional - will it boot? If so, and if you installed ATM using Control Panel, use Control Panel to delete ATM. Then go into the Register, click Find, and do a search for all references to ATM, and delete them (make sure that the reference you delete is actually Adobe Type Manager-it should be pretty obvious). Then reinstall Windows right over the existing. Hopefully, it should reinstall the system files that were damaged. I have done this twice, and it worked for me. I can't quite remember if I booted to DOS and ran setup from there, or if I just used Control Panel, Install. I will check it out. Anyway, if you are going to hose the harddisk anyway, can it hurt, and maybe it will save you some pain.
    Bob
    IP

Contrary to the implication in its year-oriented name, Windows 2000 is NOT an upgrade to Windows 95. Windows 2000 is Windows NT Version 5. (Windows 2000 has more in common with IBM OS/2 than it does with Win 95.) Likewise, there are two completely different versions of ATM 4 available: one for 95/98/ME and another for NT3.5/NT4/2000. There is nothing wrong with ATM 4.0 on Windows 2000 so long as you use the NT version of ATM. We've used it here without problem for almost a year. I highly doubt that there is a "patch" to the 95/98 version of ATM that will make it run under Windows 2000.

Incidentally, Corel comes with its own excellent font handler called Font Navigator that has the tremendous benefit of auto-activating fonts upon opening a Corel document. Oddly, FN does NOT install by default and you must be careful to check it during the Corel installation (or add it later). It's also important to note that on versions of Windows prior to 2000, FN can only activate PostScript fonts if you have ATM installed (but not necessarily running) in the background. In your particular situation, it would definitely be worth your while to investigate whether the built-in PostScript font capabilities of Windows 2000 make installation of ATM unnecessary when using FN.
    IP

I installed an old version of ATM 4.0 trying to get to Old fonts. FN was already installed & couldn't load them.
    I really hope you guys are right & Adobe tech is wrong. But they said original damage would not be fixed by uninstall (even in registry) but that was still the best thing to do & 4.1 would repair somethings but not all.
    I have ATM 4.1 on order. I will carefully read all the chat rooms for all the in put. But the Adobe forum is loaded with posts on this problem. So I am not the only one who needed to use ATM 4.0 to get to old fonts.
    Thanks for all the input. KH
    IP

I'm sorry if I'm getting paternal here, but my last post was way too complicated and I seem to have confused the real issue. Maybe a picture is needed. These three CD's below are intended for three different operating systems:

1) Windows NT (including Windows 2000)
    2) Windows 95/98 (including Windows ME)
    3) Macintosh OS (only says Mac on the disk itself)

You have been trying to use #2 on a computer which needs #1. This does not mean that you are a bad person, but it does mean that if you just bought a newer version of #2 it still will not work.

Or, I could be wrong. I voted for Nixon in '72.

[This message was edited by Ziggy on September 29, 2000 at 09:17 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATM.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	2145  
    IP

Yes, I bought ATM Deluxe 4.1 on the counsel of the Adobe Tech I spoke with.
    I still haven't installed it cause I can't get anyone (Adobe or MS) to confirm I'm fixing the problem.
    On the MS Tech site, that took me 30 min. to dig up, it states this problem is with duplication of system fonts of the "Far East" kind. Huh? So if you load those your in trouble, if you didn't your okay?
    I have had no noticeable problems.
    Thanks Ziggy, for being so protective of us out here. I can do the dumbest things out of "not" knowing whatelse to do to get up & running. -KH [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP