Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blog content disappears in mobile version

Can someone please help me?

I'm creating a site at www.ampedit.uk

It includes a blog for which I've used DropInBlog code.

The blog works in standard pc format, but disappears when I switch to mobile (either by shrinking my pc browser window or viewing on my phone).

I've tried resizing the placeholder on the mobile version but without success.

DropInBox say it's not a fault of theirs and suggest that it's to do with CSS or Javascript.

Can anyone advise me what to do?

Default Re: Blog content disappears in mobile version

Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    Can someone please help me?
    I'm creating a site at www.ampedit.uk
    It includes a blog for which I've used DropInBlog code.
    The blog works in standard pc format, but disappears when I switch to mobile (either by shrinking my pc browser window or viewing on my phone).
    I've tried resizing the placeholder on the mobile version but without success.
    DropInBox say it's not a fault of theirs and suggest that it's to do with CSS or Javascript.
    Can anyone advise me what to do?
    Xara's Variants put all the page code into one big file, here http://www.ampedit.uk/blog.htm. It then hides away the Variants that are not in use and reveals the appropriate ized one as the viewport changes.

Your Blogs code is referencing an ID (<div id="dib-posts">). HTML IDs, however, are only designed to be recognised on the first mention; a second one will just be ignored.
    You could try creating separate Blogs for each Variant.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for that, Acorn. I'll have to think about what best to do, as this is proving to be far more difficult than I'd anticipated.

Info Re: Blog content disappears in mobile version

Thanks for that, Acorn. I'll have to think about what best to do, as this is proving to be far more difficult than I'd anticipated.
    I have found similar problems in the past and have just about managed to get round them by using IFRAMEs.

Here is the essence:
    1. Create another (sub-)site just for the Blog return.
    2. Ignore Xara's moans and name the page blogposts.
    3. Publish to the same location as your main site, ensuring you do not have the same page name.
    4. In the main site and Variants, use the 'Embed a website' widget or create a Placeholder with body code of:
    5. Code:
      <iframe src="blogposts.htm" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" name="blog_iframe" ><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>

Hopefully, the blog content seems to be adaptive so it should all fit into the width of any Variant's IFRAME.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, my apologies for the slow response. I tried your IFRAME suggestion, which worked but didn't look great. I therefore opted for your initial idea of creating a separate blog for the mobile version and that seems to work fine. Thanks for your help.

Acorn, my apologies for the slow response. I tried your IFRAME suggestion, which worked but didn't look great. I therefore opted for your initial idea of creating a separate blog for the mobile version and that seems to work fine. Thanks for your help.
    Eric, kind to report back.

Acorn

EricD,

Can you tell me a little more about this DropinBlog?

I went to your website and clicked around a bit on the your blog to get a feel for it. When I clicked on a blog post it opens up on the page and has the ability to expand the post from just the snipped shown. Is this all done by Dropinblog automatically or do you have to setup each post individually and set different parameters?

Now when you set up for the variants are you making two separate blogs on Dropinblog and is this costing you additional fees?

We get all kinds of questions here on Talkgraphics about blogs and this maybe a very good option.

thanks
    Ray

Hi Folks,

Just ran across this thread. Jesse here. I'm one of the co-founders of DropInBlog.

I'm not fluent in the products you guys are using here but I'd be happy to take a look and make sure we can have a clean integration. We've had a lot of updates to things since these threads started about us.

-Jesse, DropInBlog

Quote Originally Posted by DropInBlog View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Just ran across this thread. Jesse here. I'm one of the co-founders of DropInBlog.
    I'm not fluent in the products you guys are using here but I'd be happy to take a look and make sure we can have a clean integration. We've had a lot of updates to things since these threads started about us.
    -Jesse, DropInBlog
    Jesse, in finding your site, I checked over your Examples page (https://dropinblog.com/examples/); none of which are linked to the actual sites. I picked Social Owl and its Blog and found the 4 seconds to open the page tedious. Other blob links from there were over 2 seconds. Is this delay down to your cloud hosting? Your pricing model is not cheap at $49/$24 monthly; it is not clear that this is per site. As a Xara site can present a range of Variants in different styling (CSS), I am unclear how DropInBox could handle this.

Hope this gives you something to respond to.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

Examples / page load speed:
    When using the simple javascript integration there is a tiny delay vs if you cache it yourself (many ways to do this). But if your site itself loads quickly the delay is almost unnoticeable:

You can see a fully clean example here: https://dropindemo.com
    or an client example here: https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/news.html

Both load very quickly. However, if you want faster loading you can use our JSON api.

Pricing:
    Our pricing is per site. It's about 20% cheaper on the annual plan. We've found the current pricing is the most sustainable for us to maintain a great product with a small bootstrapped team. Also we've found that if a customer is not going to add $19 / month to their bottom line from their content marketing plan they don't end up actually continuing with it anyway.

CSS:
    Drop in blog offers a number of "Templates" for the output of the blog section (which fits within your existing page layout). The grid being the most popular. When you choose one of these templates css is sent to your page, however it will still inherit your fonts and some of your colors.

The templates look pretty great out of the box on most sites. However, if you're not happy you can tweak till your heart's content as every single element has a unique class or id on it. So you can easily target any element you'd like to adjust.

Or, if you want full control you can just choose the "Raw" template that only outputs html elements with classes and ids on them but no style. Then you can make it look exactly how you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot on 2020-01-24 at 09:50:27.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	126178