Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: How to draw this shape...

At the risk of putting damper on the party ...

You did say "ACCURATELY". One of my major peeves with Xara is the ACCURACY thing. The click and drag method does work, but only by eye - the same as most of Xara's accuracy. It's not strictly accurate, as not only will Xara not constrain the drag of the triangle sides to EXACTLY perpendicular, but as far as I'm aware, you cannot pick the exact centre of the relevant side.

So athough it looks visually correct, it's not accurate.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Info Re: How to draw this shape...

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    At the risk of putting damper on the party, you did say "ACCURATELY". One of my major peeves with Xara is the ACCURACY thing. The click and drag method does work, but only by eye - the same as most of Xara's accuracy. It's not strictly accurate, as Xara will not constrain the drag of the triangle sides to EXACTLY perpendicular, as far as I'm aware.
    The "click and drag" method can be crafted to work "accurately" if you ensure Snap to Guides is set.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'm a CAD draftsman, so accurate to me probably means something different to me than it does to you. XARA's snap to guides is ONLY accurate if you can grab something in a EXACT location, and you can't ... It only snaps to where you picked it up, which is NEVER accurate - it can be close, even very close, but never exact (unless it's a fluke). I've NEVER been able to craft anything what I call ACCURATELY. As far as I'm concerned a HUGE help to drawing accurately, would be incorporating into Xara's tools the SNAP features of ALL CAD systems, where you can pick up an object at an exact point, and drop it on an EXACT POINT, including perpendicular, midpoint, endpoints and intersections at least.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I'm a CAD draftsman, so accurate to me probably means something different to me than it does to you. XARA's snap to guides is ONLY accurate if you can grab something in a EXACT location, and you can't ... It only snaps to where you picked it up, which is NEVER accurate - it can be close, even very close, but never exact (unless it's a fluke). I've NEVER been able to craft anything what I call ACCURATELY. As far as I'm concerned a HUGE help to drawing accurately, would be incorporating into Xara's tools the SNAP features of ALL CAD systems, where you can pick up an object at an exact point, and drop it on an EXACT POINT, including perpendicular, midpoint, endpoints and intersections at least.
    Keith, for that capability, you would need to jump ship to CorelDraw.

!ArtWorks (RiscOS computers only), the precursor to Xara, had a companion program, !DrawAid, which used BBC Basic to achieve accurate shape definition that is still usable in Xara today. I have been awaiting the mythical API to the SmartShapes to see if the capability can be use to enhance Xara's deficiencies.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have been awaiting the mythical API to the Smart Shapes...
    That's one long wait Acorn.

I agree with Keith re the accuracy.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 26 September 2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

haakoo's method in Post #5, is accurate.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Also, using MVMusic's and Acorn's method, I can get amazing accuracy.

In the attached image, I used the Quick Shape Tool and selected 3 sided polygon and drew a black shape.
    Placed a guideline on the bottom point with Snap to Object selected.
    Then positioned my mouse on the top edge of the shape, clicked my mouse near the guide line to select, and moved my mouse gently left and right and I got the magnet symbol. Then changed the shape as desired.
    I then cloned that image, rotated it 120 degree, coloured it white, and positioned it on top of the black image behind.

Looks pretty accurate to me.
    I'm not aware the Xara is a CAD programme, so I would not be expecting CAD accuracy.

I'm pretty critical when drawing shapes like this, and it satisfies my criteria.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not cad accuracy.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	122274  

I'm amazed this discussion is still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I'm amazed this discussion is still going on.
    Surely, that can't be a complaint?!

Surely.