Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why doesn't Web Designer see my .web file it created?

Hi All,

I have Xara Web Designer Premium 15.1.0.53605. I was in the middle of creating a new website using it. Every night I saved the file and the next day I opened it without a problem. Then my hard drive went south. I have a new hard drive, and have restored Web Designer by reloading it and putting in the registration key. It says I'm totally legit and properly registered. I also have the last saved version of the .web document it saved on both a back up and a thumbdrive. But when I try to open it, it says it "can't open that file type."

I'm totally unsure what to do. It created the file. It opened it just fine right up until the hard drive was replaced. But now it says the very file it created and saved is something it can't open. I made a test website and it loads just fine with the same .web extension. Anyone have any suggestions on how to reclaim the work I've done?

Thanks bunches,

Eric

Default Re: Why doesn't Web Designer see my .web file it created?

Hi Eric, first thing to try is to close Xara then right click on the launch icon and 'Run as Administrator'.

If you have a back-up on a USB memory stick it should open fine. Get back if not.

EDIT: One other thing worth trying is to relaunch Xara and drag the .web file to Xara's Title Bar.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg...

I have tried your suggestions, but none of them work. It still sees the .web file as one that it can't open whether it's from the restored version from the backup or the one that I saved prior to the hard drive dying. But it still opens the test website I made this afternoon without a hitch. I'm not sure what it is about my file that it can't open. I hope there's an answer because that file contains hours of work that will be lost if I can't reclaim it somehow.

the file may be corrupted and if that is the case then you would need to open a support ticket; when xara did support that was straight forward, I do not know how it works since magix took that over I have not had to try it

You don't say how your hard drive failed, but things can be going wrong for a while before a drive becomes unusable

Also do you have any scheduled backup/sync programs running, because they can actually result in all your backups ending up corrupted if the source file they start from is the problem...

if file types are hidden by default on your windows change setting to show them - make sure it is correct and has not somehow been 'doubled up' [eg .web.web]

you can post the file up here if that is acceptable to you, someone will look at it, but if it is corrupted only xara/magix can do anything with it

[you could also try installing a trial version of say, designer pro, on your computer to check if your web designer installation is not the issue]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi handrawn,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the trial version of Xara's latest and greatest and the file did not open. The file was saved to a USB and it worked before the crash, but not after. Two bad sectors on the hard drive, one at the front, were the culprit for the crash, but all my files that were backed up seem in fine shape except the Xara .web file. So I guess it's off to Magix to see if they can help. Thanks again for your help.