Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switching from XWD Premium to Pro

I have never followed the threads on Pro closely as it wasn't an option to upgrade. Now I just got Pro in the Humble Bundle $25 deal and will be using it for the next year, I've imported a couple of my XWD premium webs and noticed some formatting differences which I haven't yet had chance to check out. Is there anywhere that I can read a summary of things to look out for? And anything in Premium that won't work as expected in Pro?

Default Re: Switching from XWD Premium to Pro

When you open an older file frequently you get a requester that asks if you want to update the formatting, yes or no. I usually just say No.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    When you open an older file frequently you get a requester that asks if you want to update the formatting, yes or no. I usually just say No.
    Thanks I also recall getting that message when importing files from an older version of Premium to another one - but I'm not getting it when importing Premium files to Pro.

Then it is a Non-Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Then it is a Non-Issue?
    Well I am still getting formatting differences, but not a message asking if I want to stick with older formatting.

In general I am trying to understand what I am losing when switching from Premium to Pro and of course any workarounds.

I am really hoping that the upgrades for Pro (and in particular the Humble Bundle version) are not seriously later than those for Premium.

So let me get this straight, you paid $25 and I paid $140 for xara pro?

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    It's only Magix's marketing at its zenith: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...bleBundle-deal.

These offers, and the like, come around fairly frequently. It adds to the frustration of regulars who have supported Xara for a long period; support that clearly means nothing.
    So tell everyone what a bargain Xara actually is. Magix will get a little more revenue but most will complain about the upgrade cost in due course.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Me too (140+)!

That's life. I recently upgraded to PaintShop Pro Ult. on the last day of the special reduced upgrade offer of 65CAD for loyal customers. A week later, I opened the old version and I was offered the same bundle for 50CAD. A week after that, it was 30CAD. Next time, I'll wait.

Included in the HumbleBundle are:

- at the 1$ level - Xara 3D Maker 7, MusicMaker 88's Edition, and PhotoManager Deluxe
    - at the 12.10$ level - add Xara P&G Designer, Xara Web Designer (not Pro), VideoEasy
    - at the 25$ level - add Xara Designer Pro X and PhotoStory Premium VR

Anyone who has Magix Movie Edit Pro or PhotoStory should at least get 3D Maker 7, as these 2 come with about 150 title templates made with 3D Maker. You can only modify the text. However, if you have 3D Maker 7, installed, you can modify anything that you want as opening the title from within Movie Edit Pro opens it in 3D Maker and the result comes back to the timeline. As well, one should get at least Xara P&GD as it is integrated with Movie Edit Pro and PhotoStory. I have published some tutorials on these.

I already purchased the last 2 HumbleBundle offerings and gave away some of the software to friends.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

It's only Magix's marketing at its zenith
    I see it as Magix's marketing at its nadir Acorn
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It's only Magix's marketing at its zenith: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...bleBundle-deal.
    These offers, and the like, come around fairly frequently.
    Acorn
    This is the first time I've seen Pro offered - with a full year of content catalogue (and I hope updates). Obviously I'm delighted to have the opportunity to try out Pro, but I need to keep in mind that this is something I can't afford in the long run. Like Acorn I'd have much more faith in the products with a return to stable, feasible, prices (with the occasional 20-30% off) and development cycle

I've also bought the last two Humble Bundles, and so have software to give away/sell (including my original Xara products with expired content catalogue). But at least with the Xara software I am probably not parting with anything yet, in case the older software gives a better deal on future upgrades and/or speedier upgrades.

I'm in two minds about whether to advise colleagues to jump on the Xara bandwagon while the Humble Bundle Offer is still on. Like myself, most won't be able to afford (or need) Pro long term...

And (my reason for starting this thread) I'm trying to find out as much as I can about any disadvantages of Pro vs. Premium.
    Last edited by yjs; 18 September 2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: for clarity