Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sub folders

Default Re: Sub folders

Actually I think I need the reverse! I need the subfolder single index page to have the placeholder and pull in the page form my main site. As with your example if the user reads the newspaper and types http://parkeston.com/turan/specials/ they will see the inner page with no navbar!!

No! Just did that and the problem is now - while the sub page looks cool, if I navigate to say "contactUs" page it has a border around the box and scroll bars appear :-(

Here is what I have so far (the news paper is called the advertiser - so the sub page is "advertiser" not specialoffer :-) ):

http://www.feel-good.today/advertiser/

v

http://www.feel-good.today/advertiser.htm

Any thoughts, think I'm close.

The first link leads to an empty page.

But why would a visitor type in that url Turan ???
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Before moving the to Xara I had the structure "website.com/aboutUs/index.htm", "website.com/contactUs/index.htm" etc so the htm was never typed, if oyu e-mailed a link it looked more user friendly "If you want to find out about us go straint to website.com/AboutUs" etc. I think that was the default structure for dreamweaver? Can't recall why. I have to say I feel this old way is better - all images for that page are in a subfolder of the dir etc.

As peopled were reading the local advertiser, I thought it would be nice to direct them to feel-good.today/advertiser I thought it looked shorter & cleaner than telling them to type feel-good.today/advertiser.htm or feel-good.today/advertiser.thml

So that is the why. Any thoughts?

There's nothing stopping you doing that in Xara Turan but your site currently has 17 pages. You are suggesting just for the sake of changing a url from:
    feel-good.today/advertiser.htm
    to a very slightly shorter user friendly:
    feel-good.today/advertiser
    you'll need to create 16 sub-folders (sites), each of which has it's own page index_htm_folder.

The problem with using this approach is Xara doesn't create an dedicated 'images' folder. Each sub-folder (site) would have a unique folder:
    index_htm_files
    such that every sub-folder (site) would need to hold each individual image etc and on loading will need to download the image anew, even if they are identical across all pages, as the browser see's them as different images.

You can circumvent this by creating your own universal 'images' folder for reference by all sub-folders but again this leads to more work.

It may be possible to change links from one url to another via the .htaccess file but I'm unsure how this redirection would be looked at by SEO's.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host