Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting a unsusual NavBar working

Good Saturday Morning All,
    I went to the "content catalog" and found 4 heart (valentine type) photos from stock photos. I reduced these photos in size so they could fit as and represent 4 NavBar Buttons. I want to turn these buttons into a working NavBar. using the text tool I've placed the following on the 4 buttons,
    (BBQ Home, BBQ Story, BBQ Menu and BBQ Contact. I have done lots of reading but could not find instructions regarding how to turn the above into a working NavBar. Can anyone here help me with this or is this even possible? If there is a way to do this I've learned something new. Hope I've explained this in a way you all can easily understand. Thanks all

bob

Default Re: Getting a unsusual NavBar working

Quote Originally Posted by musicmanrobert View Post
    Good Saturday Morning All,
    I went to the "content catalog" and found 4 heart (valentine type) photos from stock photos. I reduced these photos in size so they could fit as and represent 4 NavBar Buttons. I want to turn these buttons into a working NavBar. using the text tool I've placed the following on the 4 buttons,
    (BBQ Home, BBQ Story, BBQ Menu and BBQ Contact. I have done lots of reading but could not find instructions regarding how to turn the above into a working NavBar. Can anyone here help me with this or is this even possible? If there is a way to do this I've learned something new. Hope I've explained this in a way you all can easily understand. Thanks all

bob
    bob, it won't work.with four images, you might with three but it is going to be peculiar. Also the text needs to be a Text Line: "Simple text" and not Text Inside, Text column or Text Area.
    Fuller details in Help > Search: Creating your own Navigation Bars.

Why make them into a NavBar when you can make them into simpler buttons and place sub-menu actions into different layers? How deep are your sub-menu links?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hello Mr. Acorn and thank you for getting back to me. I am not at the point where I feel comfortable with "sub menus". I was thinking what I wanted to do was too complicated, but thought I'd ask. Thanks and I am going back to the Content Catalog and regular NavBars . Thank you so much sir.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by musicmanrobert View Post
    Hello Mr. Acorn and thank you for getting back to me. I am not at the point where I feel comfortable with "sub menus". I was thinking what I wanted to do was too complicated, but thought I'd ask. Thanks and I am going back to the Content Catalog and regular NavBars . Thank you so much sir.

bob
    bob, the whole point of a NavBar, in Xara, is to be able to add sub-menus. If you don't need sub-menus, use buttons.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Mr. Acorn,
    My thinking on this was to use hearts/valentines as menu buttons. I am going to do some more reading as suggested by you and see how comfortable I feel carrying out what's expected. I just learned I can delete a navbar and replace it with another one without harm of messing things up and that's great for me. I am taking more chances because of you all here

bob

Bob, I don't think you grasp what Acorn is saying:

Bob, the whole point of a NavBar, in Xara, is to be able to add sub-menus. If you don't need sub-menus, use buttons
    So don't use navbars, just use buttons which you can create yourself if you wish. Attached is a heart button with an animated gif in the mouse over state. Just duplicate the heart and change the text to that required.

It doesn't preview in Xara's built in browser, best previewed in FF or Chrome etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Bob, I don't think you grasp what Acorn is saying:
    So don't use navbars, just use buttons which you can create yourself if you wish. Attached is a heart button with an animated gif in the mouse over state. Just duplicate the heart and change the text to that required.
    It doesn't preview in Xara's built in browser, best previewed in FF or Chrome etc.
    Egg, the heart.gif file hasn't been uploaded.

Acorn

Good Morning Mr. Egg Bramhill,
    For some reason I could not open the heart.xar attached file. I tried several or more times but could not open it. And no, I do not need sub-menus. Actually, I did use a stock photo, adding text which I had intended to use as buttons, I assumed I could not do that if I did not need sub-menus. You are right I apparently did not understand What Mr. Acorn was saying. I went back and used regular nav bars buttons. I should have paid closer attention to what was suggested. I do appreciate.

bob

Whoops, thanks Acorn. Here's a revised xar file. Does this include the animated gif?

EDIT: Does this work?

Meanwhile here's how it should PREVIEW
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Getting a unsusual NavBar working

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Whoops, thanks Acorn. Here's a revised xar file. Does this include the animated gif?
    Meanwhile here's how it should PREVIEW
    Egg, the Preview is fine. The upload of the GIF isn't.

Select one of your Placeholders, press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A and navigate to add in heart.gif.

No guarantees this renders but I added a vector shape instead for the BBC2 one and some keyframes code to pulse it on hover.
    In the Xara Preview, I included a Bugle animation to give a fall-back - this only works once as Xara has not included a repeat forever option - heartless, well one beat at least.

heart - acorn css3 animated pulse BBC2.xar

Acorn