Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Producing large posters size A0 and above.

I am relatively inexperienced at preparing large poster sized documents (e.g. 100cm x 220cm) containing detailed photographic images, for high quality printing. I find that every change takes forever to save. My PC is not a slouch -i7 processor and 16GB RAM. 1TB Disk with OS on 250MB solid state. Because the quality of the photographic image is important the document is sized at 300dpi.
    Is there a sensible way to approach this task that does not make it so tediously slow?

Default Re: Producing large posters size A0 and above.

Tormaid, the only Xara slowdown I might experience with lots of large images is if they had Live Effects active.

Perhaps, your virtual memory setting needs tweaking or you have too many applications open, all eating into your 16GB.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tormaid, the only Xara slowdown I might experience with lots of large images is if they had Live Effects active.

Perhaps, your virtual memory setting needs tweaking or you have too many applications open, all eating into your 16GB.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn thanks for quick reply. First I confess I'm new to this application. I cannot find out how to activate or deactivate 'Live effects'. Neither can I see in the Options how to increase virtual memory - unlike Photoshop which allows allocation of 'Scratch Disk' memory required. However I suspect I have a problem with this actual file. I have opened a previous file of similar size and I can carry out changes with virtually no delay. The present project freezes for up to a minute and image blanks out temporarily with even the most trivial of change; for example correcting one letter in a word. I have accessed 'Tune Up' in Options and tried various things without success.

acorn may have been referring to windows virtual memory

the only xara program setting I know are on the tiune-up tab of options but I can't remember the last time I tried changing any of these so I can't offer advice on them

in a graphics only file you might try opening a new blank document and copy/paste objects one by one and see if you can find one causing issues - since you have a similar file that is ok it may well be an object that is say, too complex, or that is grouped with something way off the screen making a very large object - switching to wireframe and zooming out may also identify anything invisible that should not be there
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...