Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Xaras Update Sevice Option and do you Understand it??

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally Happy

0 0%
  • Moderately Happy

1 3.70%
  • Indifferent

2 7.41%
  • Moderately Displeased

4 14.81%
  • Totally Displeased

20 74.07%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Update Service Poll

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    does not stop us arguing it is not a good idea - but since it is all magix and not xara this may no longer be the place to do it...
    Xara are quite aware of our opinions.

I see there being three channels of communication:
    The first is https://help.xara.com/ / https://support2.magix.com/customer/ - do note that the runaround we have endured for the last 10 months has changed (in the last week?) but I have no proof the FAQs exist or the incident reporting works.
    The second is Matt Bolton direct: "If you have any questions about Xara and our plans, please feel free to contact me directly at any time. I can be reached at mattbolton@xara.com.".
    The third is TalkGraphics. I am assured Dear Xara is read by Xara. I propose a Dear Xara Thread must be kept as a targeted issue with no deviation so Xara gets a clear message.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sorry, I'm even more confused Acorn.

I see there being three channels of communication:
    Firstly, do these three channels of communication speak in one voice, or three different voices?
    Why three channels of communication in the first place?

The only channel of communication I use is Talk Graphics. Now I'm being invited to communicate via Magix (can't recall Kate's link) or directly to the CEO. Why?

At one time I purchased the latest revision of Xara. It worked without issue, I was required to understand virtually no conditions. However since the Update Service I now need an almost solicitors understanding of these conditions. TG forums are full of members asking for for guidance/understanding of their problems re the Update Service and why their access to the OCC has disappeared.....

Kate asked:

Is there something that you yourself do not understand on this matter Egg, some question that isn't answered by the Update Service document or that isn't clear? Or are you simply saying you don't like the Update Service, which is a different matter and not relevant or helpful in a thread which was about the particular question of bug fixes - and therefore not in itself reason to keep that thread open once the question was answered.
    Yes, firstly I'm stating I absolutely detest the Update Service. No argument.

Secondly I'm stating that why should I as a customer/client need to wade through & understand a convoluted update agreement. This clarification has been ongoing through this thread and it's earlier prematurely closed threads.

Hello, I purchase software ..... I don't expect to enter into intricate software agreements and have features disappear after a time period.

Now I'm being asked to not only to express my concerns in Talk Graphics but to do so to Magix.com and directly to the Xara CEO.

This all reminds me of the multi-contracts purposely confusing deals created by such ISP's, building societies, banks and utilities.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello, I purchase software ..... I don't expect to enter into intricate software agreements and have features disappear after a time period.
    The answer Egg is to walk away... ok I expect you have a lot of investment in xara that will make that very difficult to do.. but it is either that or come to terms with the new way things are done... I don't think it's going to change, destopwise anyway; it is all driven by magix and this is the way they work, this is the way they make their money when they take over what another member called 'failing software' which xara was... else why ever did they hook up with magix in the first place... you look at the history of xara you see a really excellent vector program, but never enough sales to really make ends meet long term...

the answer from the company has already been made clear 'you don't have to buy it / renew it' - that is basic commercial tenet - we offer a product, you choose whether to buy it or go elsewhere, whichever you choose, have a nice day

I am just glad I never needed the online fluff
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Sorry, I'm even more confused Acorn.
    [...]
    Now I'm being asked to not only to express my concerns in Talk Graphics but to do so to Magix.com and directly to the Xara CEO...
    Egg, all I was trying to point out is that the Dear Xara Forum is clearly a one-way street as Xara rarely engages in any response or dialogue. Magix need to hear the problems it has specifically caused with its poor communication and Matt needs to hear it directly without it all being filtered away into noise.

I am not asking anything of you, I was trying to advise the most impactful way of getting your concerns heard and addressed. So the answer to your first question is that there are three voices, none of them are our making.

Knowing about the EULAs ensures you can assert your rights. For instance, v15 EULA disappeared from the Desktop application Help; it is now on-line. The EULA is no longer under version control and can, and has been, changed by Magix without notification. Magix also does not appear to have acted on the GDPR legislation so, sadly, a Customer no longer just buy a product, they have entered a contract based on the EULA.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The answer Egg is to walk away...
    Well that is one possible solution HD. But not one I'd chose. I have many years invested in this software which has served me very well.

So I prefer to remain and fight my corner
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Acorn, cross posting going on here I'll get back tomorrow.
    Egg

Hi Acorn, cross posting going on here I'll get back tomorrow.
    It's tomorrow!

Acorn

P.S. Sent PM

Well that is one possible solution HD. But not one I'd chose. I have many years invested in this software which has served me very well.

So I prefer to remain and fight my corner
    I rather expected nothing less - good luck

Quote Originally Posted by acorn
    Customer no longer just buy a product, they have entered a contract based on the EULA
    and that contract with magix right? [not read ver15 EULA in any form not having that ver]

if so then more evidence that as far as the desktop goes 'xara' is just a label now - GPlace may do the coding, but they have forfeited control of that product

ah well this is really no longer my fight... I am not tied in.. nor am I ever going to be this side of Trump voting Democrat - I am done with it... so again, good luck
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

To be honest I'm not totally adverse to paying an annual Service Support fee - at least I now know when it's due and can budget for it. In the past I generally always purchased the latest updated version (bearing in mind I'm 'only' a PGD user, so no huge expense).

I'm not quite so pleased about some other aspects of the current Support Service, like the lack of updates, new features and bug fixes, but suppose in the end I just accept "that's the way it is" and try and make the best of it.

Unlike many other forum members here, I am not using the software for commercial purposes and therefore might have a different view on all this if that were the case, particularly the slow release of bug fixes!

Anyway, I've given this some thought and this is the way I see it (let me know if I've got it wrong!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-update-service-table.gif 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	122180
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-update-service-table.gif 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	122180
    Jono, a good summary diagram (Update Service rather than Support Service & typo - "loosing").

The nasty in all of this is if you haven't used a Smart Shape, Button, NavBar or Template in the Online Content Catalogue, you lose any access after the Update Service lapses.
    By "used", I mean downloaded into your Local Designs gallery. You can overcome this by right-clicking each of the folders and clicking the Download All button.

@Xara, why not do this for us with a sub-menu option? You already have this for the Content Installer, under Help. Your reason for this is where it was a purchase of an online program download and not a media version. Exactly the same difference.

Acorn