Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Xaras Update Sevice Option and do you Understand it??

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally Happy

0 0%
  • Moderately Happy

1 3.70%
  • Indifferent

2 7.41%
  • Moderately Displeased

4 14.81%
  • Totally Displeased

20 74.07%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Update Service Poll

Let Xara know your opinion of their Update Service feature.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 12 September 2018 at 05:04 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Update Service Poll

It stinks!!
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I think, thanks to posts from Acorn and Kate I understand the update service now

I am not happy with it - I am not happy with it because of the OCC which can change without notice and therefore screw up ongoing maintenance - I am not happy with the regression on a new computer for same reason

In fact I am not happy with the program itself now - once I used most of it.. now since I don't use the web-stuff and I don't use the OCC [see above] it does start to look like poor value for money.. but there you go... plus ça change
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

We know how you feel about the update service, there's no need for a poll as A) this is beyond our control and B) This subject has been overdone now.

If you feel that strongly, you can let Magix know directly at https://support2.magix.com/customer/en . If the subject comes up we let them know our thoughts on the update service too.

Thanks
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    We know how you feel about the update service, there's no need for a poll as A) this is beyond our control and B) This subject has been overdone now.

If you feel that strongly, you can let Magix know directly at https://support2.magix.com/customer/en . If the subject comes up we let them know our thoughts on the update service too.

Thanks
    Rob
    Hi, Rob!

I followed the link you provided, but I don't see anywhere that I can post a concern. None of the subjects, as far as I can determine, point to expressing ones concerns regarding disappointments.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Hey Ron,

You can send it to either sales or technical support (or really any queue, they'll forward it to the correct one). They have meetings regularly where they discuss commonly reported issues so it would be brought up and passed to the higher up management about something customers are complaining about regularly.

Thanks
    Rob

Voted...for the amount of good it will do given the general attitude.....

@Egg, before I vote...

The Update Service is explained by Xara in its linked document here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ting-Explained.
    The Update Service offering must be understood within the context of the End User Licence Agreement that you accept by using the product: https://www.xara.com/us/eula/.
    Xara builds and Magix delivers and handles problem tickets and communications and "offers", direct and bundles.

Consequently, there are three aspects that need to be considered for the Update Service: in cover, support and out of cover.

In cover, all that can be challenged is the frequency and content of version updates and problem management.
    Out of cover, the EULA is explicit in that you lose on-line access.
    Support can be broken down into incident handling (in cover) and version regression.

Your Poll places me in a quandary.
    Yes I "understand" the Update Service; it is a subscription if you wish to retain fully functionality into the future. Unless you take direct measures, you can lose some functionality and content use. There is a choice, which neither Xara or Magix has been able to articulate readily.
    The Update Service is not an "Option". It exists. Magix will not yield. I personally consider it to be flawed in its implementation but I am not averse to a subscription model.

Magix are in control. There are no UK Xara directors. Matt Bolton was parachuted in as Xara CEO to deliver Xara Cloud.
    I would have preferred the Poll to be for marking Mark's (pun!) scorecard for his first year, ending 30 November 2018.
    I believe that that would give him enough ammunition to go back to Magix and reclaim Xara Desktop application endorsement and vastly enhanced publicity.

Finally, as I can afford to update XDPX each year, I do so.
    That said, I have stopped at XWDP12, which I only kept renewing to support TalkGraphics questions.

... my choice is therefore "Indifferent".

Acorn

P.S. What! No apostrophe in "Xaras"?
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Personally, I prefer the method whereby you BUY the right to use the software and get FREE bug fixes for that version as long as they issue them. The software manufacturer does all their updates, and releases the next version. Then you have the option of BUYING the right to use the new version if you think that the upgrades warrant you purchasing it.

This have a look and use the next versions updated features before you buy them is just smoke and mirrors.

I'd like to revert to the previous methodology, but that's not going to happen.

The bottom line is you vote with your wallet. Either you purchase/upgrade to the next version or you don't ... it really doesn't matter whether you like it or not, it's here.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 13 September 2018 at 06:42 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    In cover, all that can be challenged is the frequency and content of version updates and problem management.
    Out of cover, the EULA is explicit in that you lose on-line access.
    Support can be broken down into incident handling (in cover) and version regression.
    does not stop us arguing it is not a good idea - but since it is all magix and not xara this may no longer be the place to do it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...