Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Magix Ultimate Creative Design HumbleBundle deal

Quote Originally Posted by iRate View Post
    Is there a way to "install" the Local Designs Gallery; so that it is permanent, and doesn't get wiped out if you mistakenly clear the Font or Fill cache? :-P
    Most of what you need is described in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...186#post592186. It is applicable to any Desktop application and version if you change the pathing.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yea, I used search and found that.

I have found a better trick, though...

Do a full Content Download, and then move the Content Cache Directory to C:\ and remove write permissions for your user account from the new content directory (Turn off Permission Inheritance for the Directory, and Remove Write Permissions).

Create a hard link called Cache in the same folder you copied the content from (as it was named cache) to the new Content Directory (i.e. C:\Xara Designer Pro X Content).

Now, the Xara Designer Pro X application cannot delete the Offline Cache. It's permanent, and even the "delete Cache" button in settings will fail with a permission error, as the actual content is in a directory that your user account does not have permission to write to (write covers deletions).

Still don't understand why they didn't put a confirmation on those buttons... They just nuke everything away, even if the cat walked across your trackpad, and they are misleading as clearing the font or fills cache will also nuke the entire Local Design Library away!
    Last edited by iRate; 14 September 2018 at 08:18 AM.

altering write permissions is not a backup though, still need that backup of course just in case

it may also be that doing this interferes with the program operation - I don't know on that score, maybe acorn does...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, I have two local backups. But I'd rather not have to copy all of those files back... Preventing a situation where that is needed is optimal. You can literally write a script to toggle the permissions on that directory, if you want :-P

It should not interfere with program operation, as the only time the application writes there is when you download new designs. The Cache Directory is the Local Design Library. It's implemented as a Cache in DPX, and not as legitimate local content (i.e. like Music Maker Sound Pools). That means if you clear the fills cache, the font cash, or clear the internet cache in settings; it will literally nuke everything away.

If your subscription has lapsed, problems will not occur, as you do not have access to the Online Content Library ;-) What are you going to be downloading to there? People with a subscription can always just redownload the entire Local Design Cache; problems with deletion only matter to those without a subscription. This solution is for people who don't plan to continue the subscription, who may want to safeguard the Library as it stands when their subscription has lapsed. In that case, it's a great way to make sure that the application itself does not nuke away your Content Library; eliminating the need to have to use your backup to restore it.

You still need a backup in case you get a new PC, Have to Wipe or Reset your system (if you only have one drive), etc.

----

For those who don't want to do the permissions trick, here is a safer alternative:

Move the Cache Directory to your OneDrive Folder, and then make the link point there.

If you mistakenly delete your cache, log into OneDrive.com and it has a Restore Feature that can bring it all back in a few clicks if you have Office 365. If you don't, it'll still be restorable from your Recycle Bin.

Set the Local Folder to Always Available Offline, and voila :-P

----

Lastly, the link is a great solution for people with multiple drives and their OS installed to a smaller SSD. The Content Cache is over 3GB. Getting that off of my 250GB NVMe Drive and onto my 1TB SATA3 SSD drive is always good. Application, otherwise, does not give you a choice on where to put the Cache Directory (though I'll have to check the registry to se if there is a setting there... this is the case for many other applications, like PaintShop Pro's "DefaultWrite" key that tells it where to create all user Content Directories).

ok - I just didn't see the need to change the write permissions [and still don't] - the link option is preferable to me

If you mistakenly delete your cache, log into OneDrive.com and it has a Restore Feature that can bring it all back in a few clicks if you have Office 365. If you don't, it'll still be restorable from your Recycle Bin.
    don't wish to appear difficult, but I have Office 365, but I don't use OneDrive; and no-one should ever assume they can restore from the recycle bin unless they hardly ever fill it up
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    altering write permissions is not a backup though, still need that backup of course just in case
    it may also be that doing this interferes with the program operation - I don't know on that score, maybe acorn does...
    Xara creates a catindex.old from the catindex.txt file and thereafter writes current to old (update) and updates new - no deletes. However, Xara drops files - you no longer have any calendar.xar template files because it was such a chore to write new ones for each year. So deletes are definitely possibly. Never locked my folders but do use backups, especially before updating.

If Xara has 100,000 Desktop application Customers, what we have is 100,000 scrabbling around spending time and computer storage.
    @Xara - what a waste of time, space, energy and entropy. Make the designs available for all your Customers and allow storage space for personal designs and sharing so your Community can enrich itself and your reputation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

thanks for that acorn...
    Nothing lasts forever...

... and thanks OP for the heads up..
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am using Xara Designer Pro X11. When I open it up, it tells me that there is a new upgrade to Xara Designer Pro X for $99 only until September 27th.
    This naming convention has me confused. Is this an upgrade or an older version of what I have?

Then I ran across this HumbleBundle Deal (https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...n=tile_index_4)

Is this the full blown Xara Designer Pro X? Again does Pro X precede Pro X11? Which is actually the latest version?

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    I am using Xara Designer Pro X11. When I open it up, it tells me that there is a new upgrade to Xara Designer Pro X for $99 only until September 27th.
    This naming convention has me confused. Is this an upgrade or an older version of what I have?

Then I ran across this HumbleBundle Deal (https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...n=tile_index_4)

Is this the full blown Xara Designer Pro X? Again does Pro X precede Pro X11? Which is actually the latest version?
    The offer will elevate your v11 to v15 (v16, which is out soonish). The HumbleBundle is for v15.1. Some have had prblems with registration and access to the Online Content catalogue. This should be taken up with Magix who should honour the HB deal.

My gut would not go for the HB deal and rather make Magix earn its $99. For a hobbyist, $25 for a year is probably worth it. For someone who is selling designs, go for the Magix offer.
    There is no knowing, at present, about the upgrade path for version and after a year of use.

If you can afford to try the HB deal for $25 with the possibility of a loss of $25 then the breakpoint is a risk of 25% (1 in 4) of the HB deal being no good.

The Magix oferf will be extended beyond 27 September, based on its past record, so you have no real pressure.

Acorn