Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default xara refusing to save.

Hi guys and gals, been away a bit and only seem to have time to come here for problem solving. I started having all sorts of weird problems with access violations etc with older sites I was tidying up and spring cleaning of "stuff" . Took the almost useless support ticket route with Magix who said they couldn't find anything wrong and suggested me to install the 15 update which I did. All went well and it seemed to cure the problem for me to do my spring cleaning. I have now had the same problems arise with another site I want to renovate and I am getting out of memory messages and the when I have completed a page and want to save it I keep getting the "there was an error during saving 'general exception' your document was not saved.

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom to impart, short of completely rebuilding the site from scratch. I have tried using files and backups to work on but the result is the same. Whatever alterations or changes I make they won't save.

Please someone save me from the Magix help desk and insanity

Ken

Default Re: xara refusing to save.

Ken, sorry to hear of your problems.

Power off and reboot.
    Run Xara Desktop application as administrator to unclog stuff.
    Advise 32-bit or 64-bit version.
    Advise available RAM.
    Close unnecessary programs.
    Run MS Windows chkdsk utility.
    Power off unneeded devices.
    Run Task Manager > More details and watch the Memory entry for opening and immediately saving a design. repeat for a minor change.
    Try Utilities > Optimise all images and save.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn, for usual helpful advice and your patience with idiots. My machine is a zoostorm about three years old with Amd A4 5300 APU Radeon HD Graphics 3.4ghz with 4Gb ram (2.97 useable) 32 bit system0/s x64 based processor.

Will go through what you have suggested and see if it makes any difference. Already optimised all images (my first stop) and have noticed that the site has become rather large over the years with bits added 125mb so that seems to not be able to be handled by my steam driven computer. Will keep you updated and thanks again for the poiters.

Cheers

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mentorman View Post
    Thanks Acorn, for usual helpful advice and your patience with idiots. My machine is a zoostorm about three years old with Amd A4 5300 APU Radeon HD Graphics 3.4ghz with 4Gb ram (2.97 useable) 32 bit system0/s x64 based processor.

Will go through what you have suggested and see if it makes any difference. Already optimised all images (my first stop) and have noticed that the site has become rather large over the years with bits added 125mb so that seems to not be able to be handled by my steam driven computer. Will keep you updated and thanks again for the poiters.
    Cheers Ken
    Ken, I suspect the 4GB is the killer.

I had similar and could limp through if I closed virtually everything else down. RAM is fairly cheap so an upgrade to 8GB/16GB might be worth it if you can isolate the issue down to limited memory.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

no point in increasing your RAM unless you upgrade to 64bit Windows first

32 bit OS has reached its limit at around 3GB/3.5GB - hence your '2.97 usable' [allowing for some that willbe reserved for sys/graphices so it will be in the 3/3.5 range in total - you can check this in the windows resource monitor...]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Guest Guest

AFAIK it's even worse: To my knowledge a maximum of 2 GB can be allocated to any single application on a 32 bit Windows OS...
    So that's 2.97 GB in total for everything going on that machine and 2 GB max for Xara alone.

and thats assuming that the program can actually use that much on this setup...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks folks for the usual informative info. It appears that it is as I feared that my creaking old system is in need of bringing into the modern age. I stopped Google running (memory hungry beast) and xara ran and saved utilising about 60% of memory. It appears that this old site just tipped my systems capabilities over the edge somewhat. It loaded without any memory warnings then saved ok after I had made some alterations.

So it seems I must be off to the shops or stop using Xara and that isn't going to happen anytime soon not after all these years. Must make deductions from the wife's house keeping to pay for the upgrade .

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

Ken