Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Uploading newly saved website

Good evening all,
    I was finally able to upload, using Filezilla, my the new website I made for a church member. See: www.3-brothers-bbq.com
    My problem is, what you will see is the unfinished website. I made many changes, the main one is, I used the rectangle we use for "place holder's with a dark brown tint, in place of the grey brick you see now. After saving and re-saving, publishing and re-publishing the website it still comes out the same way, without all the changes I made to the pages to include replacing all of the grey brick rectangle at the bottom of each of the 4 pages. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong and why I am not getting/seeing all of the many changes I've made to the website after publishing? I am using Xara Web Designer Premium 15. Thank you for all assistance. I sure do appreciate.

bob

Default Re: Uploading newly saved website

Robert, it's so much easier to assist if you attach your .web file.

Place holders can't have a tint. They are just placeholders that are replaced by the content you add in the placeholder code. You can colour them red, pink, blue or gold, it matters not a jot. They will just be replaced with the content pointed out in the placeholder code.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Good Sunday Mr. Egg Bramhill and thank you for your help. Actually, I used the Rectangle Tool which I also use a a "place holder". Tell me how to gather up and send my .web file as an attachment? I've never had to do that and don't know how. This will be a new tool I will be happy to learn. Just give me instructions and I will do it. Thanks again so much.

bob

Refresh the site when viewing (aka clear the cache).

Quote Originally Posted by bkjohns View Post
    Refresh the site when viewing (aka clear the cache).
    Which you do by pressing Ctrl+F5.

Good Monday Morning All,

I have cleared the cache many times but still don't see the changes I made. On the Contact Page, you will notice the large black square. I had planned to put a "contact page" there but changed my mind. That should not be there after I made changes. The grey brick area should not be at the bottom of each page that identifies who build and maintains the website and all rights reserved. On each page I changed those areas to a very light brown/beige color. Where you see one phone number, I've added 2 more so there should be 3 phone numbers to call. I see all of the changes I've made as I work on each page of the website. Again, I have no idea why the changes I made don't show up when I re-publish the websit and I've re-published this 4 page website at least 6 times.

I've even gone back to MechanicWeb and my cPanel to see if there may be a second website I am actually working on, but the original site is the one that keeps being published. Maybe I should be entering different info when I re-publish website. I don't know what to do from here.

bob
    Last edited by musicmanrobert; 10 September 2018 at 01:25 PM.

bob, then the answer is you are publishing to an area that is not the same as the URL you supplied.

In Web Properties > Publish > Other web host (via FTP), the dialog needs your login details and with those you can open into your area with the Explore web space button.
    You can check files against the FileZilla folders and destination you have got and work out where the new site has ended up.

If the site is not active, you could use CPanel, FileZilla or Explore web space to delete all files from the upload area and republish. Do so only as a last resort.

I assume you do not have a server cache running, e.g., CloudFlare.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Good Morning Mr. Acorn,
    I do notice when I preview changes to my website, I can see all the changes I've made. Even when I preview each individual page I see each page with new changes I've made. It's only when I save everything and publish is when I don't see the new changes. I have never had this happen before. Mr. Acorn, what you say sounds very logical to me. I am going to use your instructions to see if I can find the problem. I thank you all so much. I've always felt you all was here to help.

bob

Hello again all,
    Mr. Acorn I think I did as you suggested and went to Explore Web Space. While I did not know exactly what I was looking for, I did notice that the files here did not match the files in my cPanel, and in particular, the files in my cPanel did not show the pages updates. My cPanel showed files were last modified Sept 6, 2018 and I actually made changes on all 4 pages of this website right after I got home from church Sunday, Sept 9, 2018. I don't know what to do from here. Can you suggest what I should do next sir cause I am stumped.

bob

Are you, or have you tried, publishing the entire site after changes instead of just publishing changed files? If not, try a complete upload to the server.