Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I resize an bitmap in ONE dimension only? (using XDP X)

Hello

How do I resize a bitmap in ONE dimension only?

So I have a bitmap image within my XAR file, that I need to stretch in the X-axis but not in the Y-axis.
    If I change either the height or the width of the bitmap, even if "lock aspect ratio" is unticked, both height AND width change simultaneously.

Many thanks

J

PS This is driving me NUTS. Why doesn't Xara allow us to change the sizes of a bitmap image just like you change the size of any other object.

Default Re: How do I resize an bitmap in ONE dimension only? (using XDP X)

which version of the program are you using

ther is a known issue in version 15.0 that was corrected in version 15.1 - but you need to right click on the aspect lock button and deslect the 'smart' resizing option
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Photo Tool > Content Aware Photo Resize
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Content aware.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	122100  

Good reminders, Steve and Gary!
    Personally, I don't like this new approach to bitmaps.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Good reminders, Steve and Gary!
    Personally, I don't like this new approach to bitmaps.
    +1

It is counter-intuitive and the antithesis of all other image manipulation programs that I use.
    Lock aspect ratio was sufficient until this nugatory change.

I would recant if Xara could provide a common use case that needs this treatment.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

INXB (I'm not Xara but...) I the example above, say you wanted to use the original photo for a header for your web site. But if you enlarge the photo to the width you need, the Torri Gate in the photo will be too big. So with Context Aware Photo Resize, you cal alter the photo to extend the width as need while keeping the Torri Gate the same size.

I think this is a neat feature but to be honest I am not sure I have ever used it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretched.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	122108  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    INXB (I'm not Xara but...) I the example above, say you wanted to use the original photo for a header for your web site. But if you enlarge the photo to the width you need, the Torri Gate in the photo will be too big. So with Context Aware Photo Resize, you cal alter the photo to extend the width as need while keeping the Torri Gate the same size.

I think this is a neat feature but to be honest I am not sure I have ever used it.
    Maybe you could show a comparison to better illustrate, Gary.

Also, maybe the use you’re refering to could be set as a “secondary” option rather than the first.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I think the "CONTENT AWARE" resize was available long before the "SMART TRANSFORM" was introduced.

EDIT: Content aware was available at least as far back as version 9
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Photo Tool > Content Aware Photo Resize
    Gary, the approach is useful to know and have but I think the OP's concern is simply the Squishy/Squashy issue we have for v15.0. Content Aware Photo Resize is not an adjustment in 1-D at all, it is a distortion of secondary detail while keeping the primary unchanged. It can be applied both H & V in the same image.

Squishy/Squashy,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

content aware resize is no doubt useful if you wish to adjust a photograpgh by streching the background and not the foreground for example - but if your 'photo' object is not actually a photograph, but say a line drawing, it's not of much use I would think

maybe shiphen will let us know if the thread has provided an aswer to his question....
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 September 2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: a comma-d of errors
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...