Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The right thing to do

Bug fixes should always be free.

I think it is wrong and dangerous attitude not to expect a bug free software. If people are willing to settle for something that has bugs, then it will be all that you will ever get. No one will invest time and effort for working software if they can instead sell same software that mostly works.

There are many software that have bugs fixed very fast after they are discovered and even if it may be wrong to say there are no software without bugs, there are still many that currently have no known bugs.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    there are still many that currently have no known bugs.
    I'd like to know what they are because I have yet to find any software that has no bugs.
    IP

Bugs, no bugs or whatever..surely the point of this ongoing discussion is that Xara/Magix are not listening but have decided their loyal customers, decades in many cases like me, should adhere to the new wisdom they have deigned is the way to go, i.e. a subscription service which has no real customer continuity and is generally disliked by customers and is seen as dubious value and confusing. Why not just produce XD12 or 13 and issue a disk? It's not to make my life easier...is it? :-)
    IP

Just to be clear about point fixes ...

The version I bought was 15.0 which I considered needed the squash/stretch issue fixing. This was fixed in 15.1, but additional items were also added in 15.1.

So is 15.1 a "point fix"? or am I only entitled to 15.0?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Pauland is right, there is simply no such thing as bug free software, never has been, never will be. But we honestly believe we are better than most in both trapping and fixing - and of course our in-house testers are helped in achieving that by the beta program and posts in the Dear Xara forum (which it is one reason why it's important to try and keep on topic!).

Our policy for releasing bug fixes is described in the Update Service document mentioned above. But I’d also like to add that our policy hasn’t changed significantly from what it was before the Update Service. We used to release free patches addressing critical issues, typically soon after a major release – but if it happened that there were bug fixes after the next major version then you could only get them by buying an upgrade.

Kate Moir
    IP