Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spheres

Below are 3 spheres. One has a semi transparent bitmap copy embossed with Sean Sedwards filter. One has white light reflecting and giving it the illusion of depth. And one is highlighted by a blue spot.

Is there a way in Xara X to combine these three so as to get a 3D feeling showing the blue light in the “grooves” or “shadows” of the embossed sphere?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spheres.jpg 
Views:	1067 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	16301  

Below are 3 spheres. One has a semi transparent bitmap copy embossed with Sean Sedwards filter. One has white light reflecting and giving it the illusion of depth. And one is highlighted by a blue spot.

Is there a way in Xara X to combine these three so as to get a 3D feeling showing the blue light in the “grooves” or “shadows” of the embossed sphere?

Hello Jean-Guy,

I hope the attached Mini-Tutorial answers your question. The jpeg compression caused some details to be lost. If you have any questions, please let me know. I would post the .xar file, but it is over 3MB in size.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Soquili on May 19, 2001 at 19:20.]

Name:	embossed.jpg 
Views:	1044 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	14056  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,

Thx for the mini-tut. It partly helps but that's not the effect I want. I guess I should have phrased my question more clearly.

I want the embossed bitmap to behave like a bump map and reflect the blue light. But even with the monochrome blue I don't get this effect.

It looks like Xara X can't do this (yet) and I know what to add on my wish list for the next version.

jean-guy
    i know it's not qqqwhat you were asking but has anybody tried applying a 'fisheye lens' effect to represent the spheroid reflection?
    simply cover the sphere with a 'fisheyed' bitmap then fade using transparency...
    these obviously need further shading effects but it's a good technique for balls, and even buttons!
    see the file

cheers eric

[This message was edited by scouse eric on May 20, 2001 at 14:37.]
    Attached Files Attached Files

like this... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I want lights in Xara X; there are some in X3D, why not in Xara X? But not only three: any number of lights, with lightbeam visible or not, and several types of lights (spot, distant etc). And I don’t want to wait for the next version. Will someone develop a plugin to that effect?

ERIC- Simple but really neat trick. It’s not what I’m looking for now, but one that I’m sure to remember and use.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I just tried creating a textured ball using a bitmap from the Xara3d CD and various transparency effects. Here's the result ...

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	texturedball.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	10034  

This example (made in another application) shows precisely the effect I’m trying to reproduce. The texture is darker in some areas and lighter in others, thus reflecting the light that falls upon the sphere.

I can simulate light in Xara X by creating another object, but it’s not a real light. (I didn’t use any shadow here in order to place emphasis on texture) I repeat: if Xara 3D has lights, why not Xara X? If someone from Xara Ltd reads this, please answer.

Name:	sphere.jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	17923  

We may need Lord Transparency on this one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Are you out there Gary?

Name:	XaraSphere.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	12774