Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara to Wordpress

Egg, my experience exactly. I used StudioPress as the theme for the site. I also had a commercial site. At that point WP, Studio Press, Woo Commerce, plus six plugins all rained incessant updates every week. The incompatibility of some updates with the WP and Studio Press s/w "broke" the site once too often. Woo Commerce is its own labyrinth. The Xara publication, including its commercialization, was noticeably more manageable. The use of WP never materially increased traffic or sales, only labor. The use of Xara did not decrease traffic or sales, only labor. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Certainly, Acorn. The traffic on the site was comparatively low to a fully public site, so curation was easy. We (client and I) made the decision that a manual system for a blog would more than meet his needs. Articles are published, comments are emailed, and approved comments are manually added to the conversation stream. The client received comments directly and emailed approved comments and replies to me. I simply added them to the page stream for that article. Like a traffic circle (round-about) it works quite well at low traffic but not at high volumes. We averaged 10 to 15 comments per week.

I saw it as a security issue. With all the non-sense that goes on with hacked site, I encouraged the client to not use a direct access commenting system, like WP, so that no one but he had access to the site. Automattic (WP makers) and any plugin used have some form of access to the site files. I've seen too many bad plugins break a site. Unfortunately, he is the client that passed and the site is down. Hope that helps.
    Thanks Dan, my questions were pointed back at dawnschoice, who appears to be a fly-past; your reply should have been in answer to RKissane.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I like to put together all the cons that wordpress has. Any idea as to where I can collect this info?
    I'd hope you will present a balanced view rather than just the "cons".

There is no value with presenting the bad things about something if the positives aren't also mentioned. It would be like having a list of the problems that Xara has and omitting the very positive stuff.

There has been mention of the ongoing maintenance cost of wordpress or CMS - that shouldn't be seen as an issue if the client is made aware in advance that self-updateable sites are not maintenance free and that will cost money.

Xara is perfect for many people, but for other clients Wordpress or any other CMS based system is going to be a better fit. It all depends on the requirements.

One of my friends has gone with a web developer that charges her and arm and leg for updating her plugins. Up until now she was not aware of how fast I could do this, after showing her, she knew she was being ripped off. So many web designers do this with their mumbo jumbo explanation that it takes a long time to do a simple thing, all bull.

but that is not a con to wordpress itself is it ? - just a con to some web designers [there's a joke in there somewhere, I just know it ...]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    One of my friends has gone with a web developer that charges her and arm and leg for updating her plugins. Up until now she was not aware of how fast I could do this, after showing her, she knew she was being ripped off. So many web designers do this with their mumbo jumbo explanation that it takes a long time to do a simple thing, all bull.
    It's not at all as simple as you suggest. So many people equate their time to the time spent doing some work, but their hourly rate should be spread across the easy and hard jobs, the jobs that go wrong and the time when no income is being earned and to cover the overheads for the business. The cost of doing a job is not just a figure that covers the time for that work alone.
    Last edited by pauland; 07 September 2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Certainly, Acorn. The traffic on the site was comparatively low to a fully public site, so curation was easy. We (client and I) made the decision that a manual system for a blog would more than meet his needs. Articles are published, comments are emailed, and approved comments are manually added to the conversation stream. The client received comments directly and emailed approved comments and replies to me. I simply added them to the page stream for that article. Like a traffic circle (round-about) it works quite well at low traffic but not at high volumes. We averaged 10 to 15 comments per week.

I saw it as a security issue. With all the non-sense that goes on with hacked site, I encouraged the client to not use a direct access commenting system, like WP, so that no one but he had access to the site. Automattic (WP makers) and any plugin used have some form of access to the site files. I've seen too many bad plugins break a site. Unfortunately, he is the client that passed and the site is down. Hope that helps.
    Have you tried the ManageWP program? I am using the free version with half a dozen WP site, and it updates them automatically once a week. It also backs up all the sites once a month. It receives a lot of praise from users. Evidently it now belongs to GoDaddy.

It is nice not having to do all the updates manually, and so far nothing has broken the sites... well, except for one that stopped working before I ever got it finished. Something went wrong and I finally just deleted it.

Ed