Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara to Wordpress

I have finally fixed my ftp problem. Once I transferred the file, how do i make it publish on Wordpress?

Default Re: Xara to Wordpress

Welcome to TalkGraphics. Xara & WordPress are not compatible. WordPress is a content management system which builds the website on the server using a database to form the content prior to delivering it to your browser. Xara creates predefined webpages based on html.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

+1 on above, simply not compatible. You could, of course, prototype in xara and then get a developer to create the site in wordpress or if you are so inclined you can learn to develop with wordpress, not easy but certainly worthwhile if you're doing it for a living.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Learning Wordpress is not as scary as you may think. I recently put together my very first site on WordPress I followed a Udemy course Wordpress for Beginners and I found a page builder for wordpress called Beaver Builder that was a tremendous help. I used elements from a Xara built site such as images, and photos that I exported as png or jpegs, some text was copied and pasted and one page from the xara site was just linked to from the wordpress site. The linked to page was done because it has some elements that I have not yet learned to replicate in wordpress, and for the time being this works just fine.

Developing in Wordpress is a very different skill set in my experience. But that doesn't mean that Xara doesn't have its place. I decided to go the wordpress route for this site because a) I wanted to learn wordpress and b) I wanted to do a blog type site that could be easily added to that we could easily log in to on a browser and have an admin panel. I do not have any intentions of replacing xara but rather I have added another tool to my toolbox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

In 2010 I converted about 6 websites from Xara to WordPress. It was interesting and the blog features were useful. Then WordPress began with their security updates. I used a skinning product as well. That company began to falter. Updates seemed endless with more than one of them breaking the sites. Forum checking confirmed it was the WordPress/plugin companies as the source of breakage. Then, sadly, one of my clients died. He was a writer and there was 4 years of blogs and comments. No easy way to harvest that data.

Subsequently, I have moved all sites back to Xara and cobbled together a blogging feature. I found WP too demanding and unreliable. Too many other companies with control over the content and look. That was my experience.

Dan,

When you say you cobbled together a blogging feature, I would assume that the blogging update is done just once in a while? Otherwise it would seem to be a lot of work for normal updates. Can you elaborate some more on what you have done?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by dawnschoice View Post
    I have finally fixed my ftp problem. Once I transferred the file, how do i make it publish on Wordpress?
    I'm quite interested in this 'ftp problem'. Was it incidental to the Post request?

Why have you not come back?

When did you buy XDPX?

When did you realised it had nothing to do with WordPress?

Sorry, this is all negative to a new joiner (welcome) but understanding where you've come from saves so much time and wasted effort.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Certainly, Acorn. The traffic on the site was comparatively low to a fully public site, so curation was easy. We (client and I) made the decision that a manual system for a blog would more than meet his needs. Articles are published, comments are emailed, and approved comments are manually added to the conversation stream. The client received comments directly and emailed approved comments and replies to me. I simply added them to the page stream for that article. Like a traffic circle (round-about) it works quite well at low traffic but not at high volumes. We averaged 10 to 15 comments per week.

I saw it as a security issue. With all the non-sense that goes on with hacked site, I encouraged the client to not use a direct access commenting system, like WP, so that no one but he had access to the site. Automattic (WP makers) and any plugin used have some form of access to the site files. I've seen too many bad plugins break a site. Unfortunately, he is the client that passed and the site is down. Hope that helps.

I found the problem with CMS sites is the requirements to update them to the latest update version. Not a problem updating the main program but a pia updating all the plug-ins. Clients used to complain about ongoing costs to them for my work as the site often looked no different.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I like to put together all the cons that wordpress has. Any idea as to where I can collect this info?