Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lack of participation in Xara Web Gallery

I would also suggest that without the Xara Xone being continued, we lost a lot of things that drove discussions. I know I have gone back through several years worth of knowledge looking at items and seeing how process would changed with the new versions of software.

Ray

Spot on + 1
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Absolutely correct Ray.

Stygg

I don't do web sites - but the thread seems to have broadened out...

A case in point: there is a process known as posterisation - I don't think xara has a specific tool for this; you can use a plugin, mehdi has one that works with xara, or you can do it 'manually' with the levels dialog in the photo tool. Object of the exercise in my case is to remove pencil from a scanned pen and ink drawing which this process does; it also sharpens up the inking which is usually a good thing, but which can always be softened/recoloured afterwards if not. It is way better than trying to carefully remove the pencil with an eraser before scan which is often not possible anyway on affordable artboard these days; I see no point in paying £££ per sheet when I don't need to... and it's quicker

When I first joined the forum I would have posted all this up in some detail and been confident that someone woiuld have been interested in discussing it in the context of xara and beyond.. now I think it would not be worth it - is this a fullfilling circle?

Just recently I was told on this forum [in so many words] that if I don't have clients then I must be using the program as a 'toy' and that my views were therefore not worth taking seriously [] - it's not a toy, its a very powerful tool but on the drawing side it has reached a plateau and until that is crossed some of us at least may feel we have said all there is we can say; not helped by those who do not want to listen because they thinks it's 'perfect'

One of the joys originally was the multitude of different uses, disciplines and needs that users had and were propared to discuss.. this seems to have run its course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm just going to jump in here with my reason not to post in the web gallery. I used to post a xara created site at least every fortnight, sometimes even once a week. But then I moved on to adobe muse so obviously COULD not post there. I can only speak for myself but xara webdesigner was a great piece of software which simply fell behind. Now that muse has reached it's end of life perhaps xara can do something to bring people back, when muse ended the developers who built widgets for it moved on and some moved to creating plugins for wordpress whereas one has developed their own software and another has built their offering on the base of a popular online offering (basically white labled it). The last time I was activiley on the forum was probably back in march of this year, perhaps even longer.

It's good to see some old faces are still around.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Just wondering why there are hardly any posts in the xara web gallery? I go there often and there is hardly any quality work or any work at all month after month.
    I am sold on web designer and done a few sites but what about new comers who want to see what the community has achieved with the software?
    Hi behzad,

I don't think a number of responses you've received so far on this thread are answering your question directly. I think they are either assuming you're making a comparison to other website forums, or making a comparison that because there are the same number or more participants here at TG than there are at other forums, that your question is invalid.

To answer your question directly:

I believe there are far more people attending this TG forum who are interested in graphics than there are who are interested in web design. (Do the numbers of views/responses for each forum reflect that?)

I also believe there are many who come to the forum to read and learn/get answers to their questions without committing to direct communication with members. (for whatever reason)

So, why is that? There will be a lot of speculation by loyal members here as to why that is.

One reason I would put that question, as to why there is more attendants to graphics, is that there are fewer users who build web sites for a business or as a service to others. There are more graphics users that are using it as a tool in their ongoing goal of creativity.

I hope that all who read this, read it very carefully to fully grasp what I'm presenting.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I would imagine web designers, like artists, tend to show off work in places where it is likely to get them more work or at least recognition

so I guess that begs the question is this such a place?

For me no, not least beacause a lot of my work is just too darn controversial for this a politically no-go site; for webdesign I have no idea of course

and does it actually matter to the average client what the work is produced with; do the webdesigners who make sites with xara care about promoting the software?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you all, specially Ron for clarifying my issue. I just feel alone in the gallery when I see no other web designers work. Hopefully this will change. Adobe Muse had its glory days and I wonder where all those WYSIWYG designers are now. @Cloud I encourage you to come back and show us what Xara can do. Wordpress is great but nothing beats xara's ease of use. All we need now is a plugin to convert our xara websites (art work) to wordpress templates

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I wonder where all those WYSIWYG designers are now.
    Using responsive design.

@Cloud I encourage you to come back and show us what Xara can do.
    I doubt there is any chance of that.

Wordpress is great but nothing beats xara's ease of use.
    That's absolutely not true. As someone who used to use Xara for making quick web pages, it was a dream, but for anything but small websites it has a LOT of disadvantages.

As far as ease of use - that was true when Xara was focused on drawing, it became less true when Xara included web design and reading on TG about people's woes with Xara when building websites I'd say ease of use is now debatable. The web design workflow seems quite convoluted to fit the old layer paradigm from the drawing tool.

All we need now is a plugin to convert our xara websites (art work) to wordpress templates
    I don't see that coming anytime soon. Wordpress is not at all wysiwyg and the requirements for wordpress templates would need more to be shoehorned over the drawing functionality in Xara.
    Last edited by pauland; 04 September 2018 at 09:51 AM.

It isn't just this sub forum that's lacking participation,
    it's in all the sub fora here at TG.
    Only a few regulars,mostly those who are moderators also.
    This is due to the fact that since the web features were incorporated and the lack of drawing/vector/tools development,
    TG simply is a goner
    Last edited by haakoo; 04 September 2018 at 12:56 PM.