Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Very High Resolution JPEG Export? and also problems in PDF export

Pdfs are what we all use for hi-res printing, regardless of whether it is fine-art. There are some fine-art printers here in the US that, depending upon the size of print prefer rbg images (tiffs) if they want to pump up color for multi ink processes. But that's not the norm.

Really, I don't understand the aversion of pdfs. There is no difference between an image in a pdf versus a standalone image.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. Good value.
    The graphic is a jet cockpit diagram with tons of detail. In an ideal world I would use a 1:1 ratio but that would be a poster the size of a bathroom wall - not practical.
    One could always put the panel components on separate smaller posters and the user puts them up on a wall in order. The smaller panel-only prints can be printed in 600 DPI using the JPEG export and re-imported for PDF as elaborated. They look great.
    I chose the B0 'cause it's an easily printable sheet at the local printer; it contains all the panels. It gives a 2/3 ratio to real size. The users would be sitting right in front of it (30-50cm) and doing their training. At 290 DPI in B0 size, the poster is useable but you do notice that the smaller text and graphics are slightly fuzzy. This is where even 400 DPI would make a noticeable difference.
    I agree with the PDF sentiments for printing; most mainline printers here in Sydney (Aust.) require PDF for the print. It seems a pain to send them jpg/png/bmp or tff. The colour format seems less of an issue.
    I could upload the xar file here so that some of you could play with it. It has some customised fonts using a commercial font builder. It's commercial in confidence so I'd have to get some permissions. Might not be allowed...

Just trying png and tiff now.

Guest Guest

And just converting the graphics to image data and keeping the text parts "as is" in a PDF is not an option?
    Thereby you could keep the text crisp and sharp and simultaneously avoid the issues with Xara's graphical effects not converting cleanly to PDF...

You may not have sufficient posts to PM me, but with your join date, perhaps Gary or Barbara can lift that so that if you desire, you could PM me a link to download the files needed. All files are deleted after testing.

A couple things.

One is do not use any Xara image processing for the bitmaps on large format work. They can make it so a PDF cannot be generated in whole or even at all.

Even with a sub 2 foot viewing range, you really do not need 300 or greater DPI for the image effects/images. 200 and at most, 266 dpi is more than needed. But again, talk with the people doing the print. Their large format printers likely will do no better with image effects/images when greater than 150 dpi. Rarely will 300 dpi do better if they can even truly process them without running out of memory in the printer RIP or the software RIP.

The screen shot below is from an XDP file of 74" x 52.4, which is roughly the B0 times 1.33 to obtain the approximate size you mention. The full-size background began life as a 96 dpi image, sampled up to 200 dpi, an inverted copy of the image was made, sharpened and a blend mode used to sharpen the base layer, exported as a JPG and brought into XDP and it hits the PDF at 200 dpi as mentioned.

The output is viewed in Acrobat at 100% scale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002138.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	121972

Starting out with a better res image is desirable, but even so isn't absolutely necessary. The whole thing is a mix of vector on top of the background. While not as complicated as your sounds, the one below is far more complicated than the above. A generous mix of vector, transparencies, text and images.

Name:	capture-002139.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	121973

TIFF export at 350-400 DPI a far better result. I then import that to a blank B0 size artboard, then export to PDF. The resulting B0 print is greatly improved. The exported image file is 1 GB !! (15.5k objects in the xara drawing).
    The only remaining problem is that the export to TFF takes 3-4 hours. XARA is using 17% of the Core i7 CPU activity, about 10% of the 16 GB or RAM, very low diskwrite capacity and zero GPU. Could the future conversion engine make use of the GPU as some of the movie editing programs do?
    BTW:
    - PNG export was quite unsuccessful.
    - not sure I can keep text as is, in the PDF conversion; using custom fonts so I think I must convert text to images in the PDF conversion. Does the PDF converter in XARA embed fonts like Acrobat?

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rodderco View Post
    Does the PDF converter in XARA embed fonts like Acrobat?
    Of course!

One of the big designs I do with Xara was a banner for a Rolex-Dealer in Munich. The with of 3,50 m and hight 4,80 m was scaled in Acrobat 10 times to reach the whole fasade of the house.
    All work is in RGB done. Only if export to PDF the content will be converted to the color profile that the Print-Shop use.

I often do banner for stadions where messuares 3,00 × 0.80 m. Never had problems with it.

Name:	Screenshot (9).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	122036

Name:	Screenshot (10).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	122037

Name:	banden.jpg