Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Very High Resolution JPEG Export? and also problems in PDF export

Hi,

I have some very detailed graphics that I want to export for B0 poster printing.

When I try to export in PDF (various standards tried) there are odd artifacts, even though the detail is quite good.

Things like drop shadows, blends and bevels get a bit messed up.

I tried printing to (Adobe) PDF (have Acrobat Pro) and there are a whole range of different artifacts. These results are not usable.

A solution I found was to convert the diagram to JPEG and then import that onto a blank B0 page, THEN convert to PDF. That works (no artifacts), but there is a loss of quality in this process. The maximum JPEG size I can created is limited to just above 16000 high (the long side of B0) and this gives me a 290 DPI JPEG. This is great on smaller paper sizes but when enlarged to B0 for PDF output it isn't quite sharp enough for the poster print. Usable, but only just.

Question: Is there a limitation on the JPEG export size for Designer Pro?
    Question: If there is a limit, can anyone think of another way to achieve this with the desired quality?

I exported to .ai and opened in Illustrator and that was full of odd artifacts also.

I think a 600 DPI export would be marvelous at this size.

Note my JPEG export settings had quality at 100%

System: Windows 10 64-bit. 16 GB RAM, SSD, GTX graphics

Default Re: Very High Resolution JPEG Export? and also problems in PDF export

I'm sure Mike will have greater insight when he comes by but basically you've answered your own question:

Things like drop shadows, blends and bevels get a bit messed up
    I suggest you create your own drop shadows.

Blends are best converted to editable shapes (You'll lose the ability to edit however).

Try to avoid bevels. I don't know if Options / Effects & Plugins can improve these?

Transparency can also cause issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FX-n-plugins.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	121960  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Or try exporting as PNG file.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Guest Guest

600 dpi is overkill for a print of that size IMHO.
    For a print in B0 and given the to be expected viewing distance, 150 dpi should be sufficient.

Other than that, a lossless image file format like PNG or TIFF - as already mentioned - might be preferable.

Hi - there is a limit to the size of bitmap that xara can handle, even in 'photo document' mode - if you are looking at 16000 pixels at 290dpi, then if my maths is correct, that would need to be just over 33000 pixels for 600dpi and that is pushing your luck with the export

I would agree stay well clear of jpg - I can't comment on what dpi would be suitable as I would need to know what the 'detailed graphics' are and what viewing distances are to be catered for...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

TIFF is a better format. 600dpi (ppi) translates into 300LPI (lines per inch) in commercial printing and is used for high end publications and catalogs. So that resolution is not out of line. However, ask your printing supplier what resolution they recommend.

If you are exporting just an image, JPEG is OK if it does not have large areas of solid color. But even though the file size is much larger TIFF is the way to go.

As mentioned, 600 dpi is overkill.

The first thing to do is talk to whatever print service to see what they want for image & effects DPI.

Basically this is like a moderate-size lobby movie poster size. I cannot imagine the minimum/average viewing distance being less than 3 feet, and likely 4 feet or greater. At 3 foot there is no need to go higher than 266 dpi with no lower than 190 dpi. At 4 foot, those numbers drop to 197/143 respectively.

A good export to JPG (no reason not to use that format, though I would avoid opening and editing that JPG and resaving). At 200 dpi a JPG should be about 10 megs and be 7880 x 11140 px and be a good export.

I've done far larger and pretty complex PDFs out of XDP. I would need to see the file in order to comment about why it will not produce a proper PDF nor JPG at the DPI I mention above.

Mike

well you work in print Mike, I don't - but there is no way I would use jpg for anything other than a continuous tone image [what it's designed for] - I am not sure 'detailed graphics' will fall into that catagory.. but like you say, really need to see the file...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Most all posters I have done are using RGB so wide-gamut printers can do a multi-ink print (I.e., greater than 4 color). I cannot remember any that were not RGB in recent years.

Because Xara applications cannot export CMYK JPGs, this has been fine for me. If they required CMYK images, I would use TIFF. But flat color whether detailed or not export at the 100% quality just fine using JPG--try it.

The main give-a-heck about using an image format is that it is limited to the page dimensions, so if there is bleed, that have to be accommodated for in the page size and that has to be communicated with the print service up front.

Regardless of color model, PDF is always the best option--btw, images, no matter whether flat color or continuous tone are JPGs in a PDF.

maybe if the jpg is 100% quality and high res then it mitigates, but I would still not use it if I had, for example, high contrast sharp coloured lines on a white background

PDF is fine for vector/text; I am sure the fine art prinitng here is not done with PDF, probably with TIFF, I'd need to ask the guys to make sure
    Nothing lasts forever...