Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do you create a navigation bar that stays fixed to the window? ( In a frame?)

Apologies for what may be a stupid question.

I have Xara Designer Pro X and I want a contents-style navigation bar down the left hand side of my window linking to about 15 very large pages.

I want the contents bar to be fixed to the left hand side of the window, so as the web page is scrolled I would like the contents/nav bar to remain in place so that the user can access links to all of the 16 chapters held in the 10 or so pages. I want to include the chapter titles ( which may be several lines long) in each link.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara screen shot.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	121942

The principle idea is in a screen grab above, obviously there is no design as yet. I am not even sure I want buttons to be visible and may wish it to look like continuous text.

Do I have to create frames on all pages or some such to achieve this effect?

I couldn't see any option in the help to get any navbar to be fixed to the browser window. My HTML is a bit rusty, so I may be asking for something very silly.

I appreciate that a fixed contents bar will have to ensure it is not clipped by the browser window, I think I will aim for a size of 768 pixels vertically. I used the suggested page XGA dimensions for the size of the web page.

Can anyone give me some ideas? Or do I have to relearn how to create frames manually?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How do you create a navigation bar that stays fixed to the window? ( In a frame?)

Hi Interactive. Look at the attached xar file. The left side rectangle plus the left hand text links are made into a soft-group. Then apply a share on all pages then select make sticky.

Get back if you need further help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: How do you create a navigation bar that stays fixed to the window? ( In a frame?)

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Interactive. Look at the attached xar file. The left side rectangle plus the left hand text links are made into a soft-group. Then apply a share on all pages then select make sticky.

Get back if you need further help.
    Thank you very much Egg, I was damn sure there was some relevant option that I had seen in demos, but I just could not find the relevant option in the help when reading through the nav bar help.

Thank you so very very much

Interactive.

That's why we're here. After we ask the same questions or make the same mistakes a dozen times ourselves then we can pass on the knowledge.

Welcome to TalkGraphics.