Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thank you, wW
    for giving me more information. I have been working on a graphic for someone that said they could only have 6 colors for a T-shirt design. I thought it would be nice if I could use the gradients like you did in the very nice cars and boat illustration. BUt I have no experience with with doing this for a shirt. they said that they did not think we could use gradients.
    I am not sure just trying to figure it out so I could do a better job for them or do something better in the future. So as it is now I just have solid colors on my illustraton. Maybe I will have to find someone locally that does the shirt printing and discuss it with them to learn more about the process. Thanks again, I really like the work that you do for T-shirt designs.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hi Bruce,

Gradients do not work well with any type of printed material. Instead of getting a smooth gradient, you get bands of color. The only way I could think to try is to do fades from one shade of a color to no color on separate layers. Each layer would count as another color and the cost would be prohibitive.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

The banding is due to wrong screen angles or using too small a dot.

The Xara default angles don't work for screenprinting. If your colors are not mixing to make other colors then use a 61 degree angle for all the plates or colors.

The dot size can range from 55 to 65 line using an eliptical dot. The dot size is more dependant on the mesh that the screen printer is using. If they are using low mesh (more ink flows through)- Keep your out put at 53-55 line. A high mesh can use smaller dots (60-65) but it can band or show moire(sp).

I very seldom use a 65 line output from Xara. I don't like the way it prints. It seems that with a larger dot you have more control with the blends. So I tend to lean towards a 60 dot when using alot of gradients. A 55 dot when I'll be using one screen for solid & gradient areas. A good example is the Marlin swim team. It's got a light blue area around the word marlin. Mostly solid lines so I used a 55 line. This way the percentage of blue will print light, like it's suppose to be. Remember, things tend to print darker than you expect. I lighten any solid area that's halftoned by 20-30%. This way it doesn't print too dark.

Word of Caution: Don't mix dot sizes for output. ex-55 one screen & 60 on another for the same print. Moire's everywhere....

For solid area & no gradients. Then you can output at 120 line or use the Xara default setting for print.

If your printing them yourself, output should be on Vellum. Once printed it should be sprayed with Fixitive (Krylon). It solidifies or makes the print more opaque. When the screens are burned it keeps the light from going through the dark printed areas.

Questions?
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Can I ask which product you used to make these ????

I would wager a rubber biscuit that he used xara, since this is the xara gallery...

I think it's more to do with wW's skill than the tools he uses!

I hate this dumb question, I get it all the time, as if someone uses the same tools that I use they can do what I do, it's completely retarded.

LogoVend,

A fair opinion. But don't call people dumb just because they want to know what product is used. I think it's a fair question.

Don't flame.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

If you take photographs people will ask what camera you used, if you say you like listening to music they will ask you about your hi-fi or if you prefer vinyl to CD's, with computers you will either end up discussing the software or the specifications of the PC. It's called making conversation or showing an interest; it's a point of contact, you really shouldn't discourage people from showing an interest.
    Derek

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

It hit the fan while I was gone...

I'm using XaraX1 Weapon X. My weapon of choice for killin' blank t-shirts.

Xara has spoiled me - it's such a great & intuitive program to use.

When I first started designing for textile print. I was using everything in the Xara arsenal. I've learned to cut back a bit on the bells & whistle's now, trying to use a straight forward approach. Learning to design with flat colors, line & linear fades.

One of Xara's biggest strengths for me is how it uses transparency. I do go crazy with linear fades & they print fine. So I've kept this bell/whistle.

It's taken me close to 2 years now to get to the point where I can take a Xara created design from start to finish (separation to print) from within Xara. Had to change the way I do things slightly. Plus, I'm a thick headed at times...

The prep for sep is the toughest part. Converting lines to shapes, Moulds to curves, Contours to curves & subtracting of overlapping shapes. Conversion & substituting of colors to CMYK etc...
    Lots of steps to get to the textile print point with a Xara file. In the end, it worth it! Could be easier though, hint, hint Xara... (next release eh?)

Textile print questions, feel free to ask - Anytime! I check in just about every week day.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

... and I might add that you use it (Xara X1) very well wW. Love the boat ... I was on one very similar recently.