Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Characters with Accents

Dear Xara...

In claiming STP credentials, what is the recommended way of introducing characters with accents into my texts?

I have used MS Windows character Map and Alt-keypresses: https://usefulshortcuts.com/downloads/ALT-Codes.pdf.
    Neither are satisfactory.

Expanding Insert > Symbol seem just right as a search against the base letter could easily return all the variants and groupings that align with the Alt-codes would be the bees' knees.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Characters with Accents

Acorn - Alt + should work but Num Lock has to be enabled. And it is really cumbersome having to remember all those combinations.

Something similar to the smartphone where if you press and hold down a character a menu of alternative charcters pops up would be very helpful and intuitive (I believe Corel and other apps already have this ability).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	121905  

On my keyboard I can type the accent and then a character to make an accented character. E.g. " + e -> ë (same for other vowels), ' + A -> Á, ~+ n -> ñ, '+ c -> ç, ' + i -> í, ` + o -> ò. Etcetera. Keyboard US international. Works for me in Xara as well.
    Last edited by Fred vanderZee; 16 August 2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Fred vanderZee View Post
    On my keyboard I can type the accent and then a character to make an accented chracter. E.g. " + e -> ë (same for other vowels), ' + A -> Á, ~+ n -> ñ, '+ c -> ç, ' + i -> í, ` + o -> ò. Etcetera. Keyboard US international. Works for me in Xara as well.
    Thanks Fred, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ted-characters is effectively another hunt 'n' peck mechanism.

I had set up my keyboard for UK Extended (https://just-this-side-of-sane.blogs...-keyboard.html), I had never considered US Intl as it flips other keys on my physical keyboard.

The point I am making is simply with so many hacks around, surely Xara could stand out. Perhaps the hyped magic wheel that Magix PR had in its dire video?

I have also used on-line virtual keyboards - https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/latin_alphabet.htm.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

All aplication I use for my design work have a Glyph-Table where you can find a glyph you don't know its ALT-Code. Only Xara fails. For this I use a small helper called PopChar for Windows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sonderzeichen.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	121906  

Quote Originally Posted by ernie-f View Post
    Only Xara fails.
    Thanks ernie. PopChar costs. As I already have and use Affinity Designer, I might just have to use its Glyph Browser...

...@Xara - it seems a quick win to add glyph collections to the Symbol character picker you already have.

Acorn

mwenz - How does Corel do this? You posted a screen shot a while back that was similar to the popup on smart phone keyboards.

Hi Gary, CD doesn't have the facility to replace non-accented for accented type. It, like all applications should, rely on the keyboard input. I don't consider it a hack...

CD does have a glyph browser and one can hunt & peck to do replacements. But I use various keyboards, US, US International, heck, Polish. It's easy enough to switch between them for the language at hand. Rarely do I use a glyph browser.

When I do use a glyph browser in applications that do not have one (Yes, Xara, I'm mostly thinking about you...), I typically use BableMap as it is Unicode compliant and is pretty fully featured...and free.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    BableMap ... is Unicode compliant and is pretty fully featured...and free. Mike
    Mike, thank you for this find: http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html.

Back on Xara.

Acorn