Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Burning The Midnight Oil

Great but I think your like me Ron, never knowing when to put a drawing to bed, always something else to tweet?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you, Boy!

Eric,
    Some of what you say is very true in my case.

However, by posting my drawings, as I make adjustments, provides me the opportunity to "demonstrate" how the critiques I receive make a difference/improvement to the drawing. This, in turn, MAY help other observers of the thread to see what was done and why.

Putting my work out there to be critiqued is something I'm willing to do. I helps me and hopefully others spying the thread.

Sure, I like to "display" what I've done, but more than that, I'm opening myself up to criticisms of my work, too. Some "critiques" are not necessarily helpful, but MOST are very helpful. I learn. Hopefully others are helped by the critiques of my "less than professional" drawings.

I know the quality of my work, but even still I enjoy immensely the process of creating in this format that Xara provides.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Ron your vector work is stunning, so much detail and care.

I'm not suggesting you do this, but sometimes adding a slight (dark) vignette to the edges of a scene like this can help lead your eyes into the central subject and add a little extra atmosphere.

The image attached is of no help to you at all, but the idea popped into my head and I couldn't shake it off! Basically in PGD I made a mirror copy of the left side of your drawing (just for fun, not for any artistic or aesthetic reason) then applied the 'Photo BW' photo preset overlay, and hid the BW attributes (see screenshot). As you prefer to work with vectors a similar and possibly better (more controllable) result could be made be overlaying a rectangle with a circular fill and transparency set to multiply.

Hope you don't mind me fiddling with you lovely image too much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rons-work.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	121965

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	121966
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Jonopen,

That would be another good approach to presenting the drawing with a little extra touch. I LOVE the suggestion and I'm posting my interpretation of the vignette along with my latest, (and I think final), edition of the drawing.

My only concern with the vignette is the possible loss of some of the features around the edge of the drawing. So, I attempted to apply a vignette without completely losing some of those aspects of the drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burningthemidnighyoilTG.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	121967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burningthemidnighyoilTGvignette.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	121968  

Xara's Facebook

That's excellent Ron. It's always difficult obscuring or sacrificing part of a drawing when a lot of effort has been taken in the first place. I think oil painters and the like do it all the time.

Years ago I did a digital drawing of a bookcase, adding titles to all the book spines, only to find out later they would never be readable at the intended reproduction size.

Still, all good fun and learning though.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Well, Jono,
    I'm guilty of doing a lot of detail that can't be fully appreciated considering how small much of it is. However, it's my way of tying to make up for poor artistic skills.

Xara's Facebook

Nice link Egg.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Looks very nice, good attention to lighting, though it's a shame that the forums won't allow us to enjoy the image at higher resolution, especially when it looks like a lot of work when into the finer details that get lost in downscaling the image.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

Quote Originally Posted by hseiken View Post
    Looks very nice, good attention to lighting, though it's a shame that the forums won't allow us to enjoy the image at higher resolution, especially when it looks like a lot of work when into the finer details that get lost in downscaling the image.
    Thank you, hseiken!

Xara's Facebook