Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to slowly reveal website as I add to it?

Working with a template I like, but the website has to go live before I finalize all the content.

Would you?

1. Leave the Latin on the pages that are not ready and indicate "Under Construction" on the top of those pages.
    or:
    2. Remove the links to the pages that aren't ready so that clicking on the menu button doesn't do anything?

Will that cause a web page cache problem as I add to the site?

Thanks,

John

Default Re: How to slowly reveal website as I add to it?

Do not leave the filler copy (Latin or Greek, your preference of terminology). It will look like you are using a template and have not figured out how to change the text.

I think there is a script you can add to the page (Maybe Acorn or Egg will know what it is) that can automatically refresh the page.

2. Remove the links to the pages that aren't ready so that clicking on the menu button doesn't do anything?
    I'd go for 2 but I'd also remove the menu buttons that lead nowhere. Add them as you you finalise a page. There's nothing worse than an "Under Construction" image on a website..
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Do not leave the filler copy (Latin or Greek, your preference of terminology). It will look like you are using a template and have not figured out how to change the text.

I think there is a script you can add to the page (Maybe Acorn or Egg will know what it is) that can automatically refresh the page.
    Thanks Gary and Egg.

I think I found the script when I searched the archives:

<meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate" />
    <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />
    <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" />

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I think your getting confused somewhat. As far as I know and I'm no expert but all of these meta tags just tell the browser to reload the whole website every visit. I could be wrong, I often am.

If you need to publish your site before it's complete, just publish those pages that are finalised, not the ones that aren't. You do this via the navbar menu. If a page isn't ready to publish then don't create a link to it in your website
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK. Got it.

Thanks again,

John