Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Update Service period expired pop up

Moving this thread to Dear Xara.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    No checkbox? I can imagine that is really annoying. Is this something introduced in v15? I'm still on 12. Seriously though a pro-program that you pay significant money on cutting features/content and then nagging you everytime you launch? It's like Xara are doing their best to drive users away.
    I summarised the overall nagging here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...156#post592156.

Perhaps Xara can address all these concerns?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

you could try clicking the upgrade button which will take you to magix, and then after just looking around leaving.. you never know might just shut it up...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I have a unique problem in that my events website developed some kind of problem in Pro X (the last one before the subscription thing) but I found it opened alright in Pro X11, which is where it started it's life. So currently I run both versions to cover that and all my other work. So I'm forever opening both. And both put up nagging messages but even if I click the do not show box it all gets cancelled out and up they pop again next time I open the alternative version.
    IP

as far as the marketing nag goes: my view is that magix make a 'new' 'offer' frequently [weekly?]- every time this is done up pops the nag again because it is a 'new offer''

this update service expired nag I don't see, maybe because of doing what I suggested in post #13.. but I don't know..
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Well if so it's having the opposite to the desired effect. I am less likely to be tempted to buy another Magix product if it's their policy to constantly nag with popup ads
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I'm hoping it will eventually get fed up when it realises I'm not going to update :-(
    (I also probably knows I have just bought a competitors product that works in CMYK)
    Which one? I gave Affinity Design a red hot go earlier this year but I hated it and went back to Xara after about six months of hell. I stopped updating CorelDraw at v12 and I could never go back to that, either. At work we have Illustrator but it is just about the stupidest thing I have ever used. I looked at Freehand once but couldn't work out how to do anything so I gave up after about five minutes. When I got this new laptop last week I installed both Inkscape and paint.net but all I had to do was open them and see the shoddy UI to know I'd never use either.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Seriously though a pro-program that you pay significant money on cutting features/content and then nagging you everytime you launch? It's like Xara are doing their best to drive users away.
    What? Firstly, Xara is very cheap by "pro" software standards. e.g. I paid around $1000 for an Adobe CS6 upgrade, even though I only use about four of the included applications, and Autodesk 3DS Max is around four grand. Xara is a lot more expensive than it was, I think I only paid $59 or something for v2.0, but it's still a bargain for everything it offers.

Secondly, what features have they cut? I know a lot of things move around from time to time but the only thing I can think of that we used to get that we don't any more are a few third party photoshop plugins and that's likely because the vendor they got them from pulled them.

I know it's easy to get annoyed with Xara, I've been there many times over the years, but the simple fact is that it is so much better than anything else that's out there that I can't ever imagine not using it. It's also been around for 20 years so it's a very mature product, which means meaningful updates are going to be few and far between. But I do wish I could turn that annoying dialog box off.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com
    IP

Bones, you like xara and that is good; for vector work it has a lot of advantages and it's UI is great...but for bitmap work it is below par

if you are unaware of the 'cut features' then I guess you doin't use the OCC feature....
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

What? I use it with bitmaps ALL the time. It treats them just like any other object, or it used to, at least. I did have a few problems last night trying to flip an image to create a reflection, which just seems stupid. But it only took me about 10 seconds to work out that if I group it first, I can do whatever the hell I want to it.

You need to understand that it was never designed to replace Photoshop, the bitmap stuff is just an extra bunch of tools so that you don't have to flit from one application to another constantly. I am in awe of how comprehensive those tools are these days, given how modestly they started out. I don't even bother installing Photoshop any more.

As for "the OCC feature", I don't even know what you are talking about. Care to elaborate?
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com
    IP

where is the [grid] mesh warp in xara [that expression had in 2003, and affinity photo and adobe both have] - the mould tool in xara is not up to the job at all

where are the print proofing tools for cmyk [that affinity photo and adobe have]

just two examples....

OCC is 'online content catalogue' - the forum is full of threads referring to both this and the 365 licence model currently in use if you care to look

You need to understand that it was never designed to replace Photoshop
    no. nor illustrator either - xara have said as much in the past.. which is why I am so puzzled that you apparently think so little of them given what they can actually do...
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP