Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Paint Shop Pro, after a 20-year vacation, should I?

First, Happy New Year to all. And, for 2024, thought I'd see what new features are in Paint Shop Pro these days, since I am still using the old JASC version 6. Well. Even better, OMG! From Corel this time around. So many new tools! Auto background replacement! And their basic version, which has everything I'll ever need, is only USD $80. Probably same as I paid for PSP 6 back when, with inflation.

So tell me. Is anybody using this new Paint Shop Pro? Is it as good -- as useful -- these days, as the old one used to be? And please don't recommend Photoshop... I still have old version 7, and stopped there because their next version freaked out when I brought in a dollar bill image. À bas l'Adobe!

Default Re: Paint Shop Pro, after a 20-year vacation, should I?

I would suggest Affinity Photo. Less cost and less overhead. I used to use an older version of Photoshop before they initiated their subscription. But the old version did not support a 4K monitor. -sigh But the Affinity line of products is well designed, well supported, and well worth the modest price.

PSP 32bit version I keep on my desktop because it has a twain interface and I scan a lot, and like you say it didn't break the bank

64bit programs don't seem to have twain, I think because there are no [reliable] 64bit twain drivers, printer/scanner manufacturers seem to have stayed 32bit by and large

but even then windows has it's own [fax and] scan software built in which I now find suffices most of the time unless I specifically want my scanner twain options

I had jasc 9 back in the day, ahead of it's time, but I never liked Corel PSP as an editor; affinity photo is good, there is of course a learning curve...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The last time I used Twain was when I had a 256 color monitor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twain.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	134404  

that would be a while ago

of course the best way, especially if you are copying things like pencil is to photograph... but I appear to have mis-placed my process camera...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AGFA Repromaster.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	134405
    Nothing lasts forever...

Wow PSP, I've not heard that program name in years. It used to be a favourite giveaway with computer magazines.

I've now gone down the Affinity route but tbh don't actually use Affinity Photo that much (no particular need). I can confirm however as handrawn mentioned, to get the most out of it, there is a learning curve (as PSP will also have no doubt). A good thing though is there's a ton of tutorials available, both official and by experienced users.

If you are serious about photo editing AND organising collections of photos, ON1 Photo RAW is a great (non-subscription) alternative to Adobe Lightroom. I think it works out around $20 more than PSP.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

@Jon123Jon

Hi,

I have PaintShop Pro 2021 and I upgrade every few years, but not necessarily to the latest verion. I watch for a Corel special Humble Bundle, so I pay less than the upgrade price and get more than just PSP. I think the last recent HB was for PSP2023 amongst other Corel offerings like Paint.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

I use PSP as the bitmap editor for Xara.

It's a good program, but, as has been mentioned, Affinity (I don't have it) may be a better option. I suggest comparing the two...or waiting for the next Corel HB deal.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    I suggest comparing the two...or waiting for the next Corel HB deal.
    Someone did: https://fixthephoto.com/paintshop-pr...ity-photo.html.

Bing's AI cites this site and https://expertphotography.com/affinity-photo-vs-photoshop/ (it got it wrong here) & https://www.bollyinside.com/articles...ffinity-photo/.

What's wrong with Krita or GIMP, both free?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Krita is a free and open-source raster graphics editor designed primarily for digital art and 2D animation.
    and it shows... good for my sort of work, but not a photo editor

as for gimp, not used it for ages but it always struck me as the 'inkscape equivalent' of raster

both useful in their own ways, but no substitute for photoshop, only affinity comes close...
    Nothing lasts forever...

You can see from the images below the basic sort of graphic art that I am doing these days.
    Xara Designer for ads, flyers, brochures. Simple stuff. Real art? Like Gray's aircraft renderings? Not me these days. Extensive photo editing? Not that either. To be honest, Xara's photo tool does most everything I need. I also use Lightroom now and then, and was wistfully remembering Paint Shop Pro when I started this thread. Thanks for your replies and advice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E354265-0687-4867-A181-616FBF9010A3.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	134423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A6DA684-3B6D-4966-B9DB-B23A2EA00BB0.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	134424