Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wacom Tablet

Default Wacom Tablet

Having looked enviously at graphic tablets for what seems about 10 years, I've just purchased a Wacom Intuos Photo Pen and Touch tablet.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed at the moment ... The problem is there are so many options for setup, and having never used a tablet before I have no idea what I should setup where, and the out of the box configuration doesn't seem to exist, nothing is setup to do anything.

Is there anyone out there who would be kind enough to at least point me to a beginner setup that may work until I know/understand what I'm doing with it.

As a side note, it came with Corel PaintShop Pro X8 which again, has been something that I've considered purchasing for a while too. Bonus!

I've been watching PaintShop Pro tutorials for quite a while now, and two things have become apparent:
    One - there are a huge number of people who barely know how to use PaintShop Pro who think it might be a good idea to write a tutorial to show other people how to barely know how to use PaintShop Pro, and
    Two - I haven't really seen anything that can't be done in Xara Photo and Graphic Designer (much less Designer Pro) - much more easily, with much less fuss and bother.

Don't get me wrong there are some tools I would like to see Xara take a look at and maybe enhance their tools accordingly ... Selection tools (5 of them), for instance are almost infinitely controllable for tolerance etc. that I feel Xara may be falling down a little there. However, most of their tools seem very clunky and unintuitive compared to Xara's interface.

There are also some really good tutorials that have me thinking "What a fantastic idea, I'm sure I could do that in Xara" Especially this Webinar about working with layers and his brilliant (in my opinion) composite image, which If I can find/photograph the right sort of images, I'd love to try out. It may even tempt me to get my camera out and look for the right sort of landscape etc.

Anyway, having digressed, if anyone could help me out with the Wacom beginner configuration, I would be grateful.

Thank you.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Default Re: Wacom Tablet

I'm assuming you need this for photo-retouching and not for drawing freehand?

Big problem with xara is that it only supports pressure sensitivity with the freehand pen tool, and it does not support pen tilt or rotate at all

personally I would use a raster program, the tablet is designed specifically to be used with a reaster program, photoshop is the pro bench mark maybe, but if it is bundled with PSP then go for it, it will obviouly work well [you would hope ]

in their instructions here wacom use clip studio paint - but the section 'using your wacom intuos' should be relevant if nothing else?

https://www.wacom.com/en/getting-started/wacom-intuos

if you have questions I should be able to help, though I use a cintiq which has a different setup dialog the principles are the same

corel have a forum of course - not been there for a while - but it used to be active and helpful....

https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewforum.php?f=56
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

To be honest, I've been using graphics tablets for many years and have never really made the effort to configure specific options and buttons. I guess it depends on how you work.

Once your hand/eye coordination gets settled in, it can be useful to open the Wacom Tablet properties utility. This then allows you to change the pen settings like click distance, tip feel and configure what the buttons do etc.

To me the biggest advantage of using a graphics tablet is just being able to draw and use pen and brush tools more naturally and accurately.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022
    IP

Me the same.

But no poblems with the default settings. Only XARA dont undertsudt the WACOM-Driver. For me it helps to colse XARA, and with open driver settings (WACOM) restart XARA.
    Maybe it helps You too.
    IP

For graphic design a tablet isn’t necessary. But for digital drawing and photo editing you would need one.
    I've been using a Wacom tablet. They are pricey, but they're definitely worth their costs.
    In addition, wacom ensures the confidence of no small issues such as lag, incompatibility and complicated setups occuring.
    Last edited by Acorn; 15 September 2023 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Remove non-Xara website Link
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by zhubao View Post
    For graphic design a tablet isn’t necessary. But for digital drawing and photo editing you would need one.
    I've been using a Wacom tablet. They are pricey, but they're definitely worth their costs.
    In addition, wacom ensures the confidence of no small issues such as lag, incompatibility and complicated setups occuring.
    zhubao, welcome to TalkGraphics.

I have deleted your link as newbies are not allowed such. Do read TG's T&Cs that you have just accepted.

Your Post is also not meshing into the rest of the Thread and looks like a bad rehash of some advertising or review.

Perhaps snap your Wacom device and add it into a XAR with some of your work to show you are not a Bot, AI or other or other irksome intrusion.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP