Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MouseOver without MouseDown?

I have a MouseOver layer to make some buttons on my site highlight on hover. However, the hover state is also being treated as MouseDown, too, so that when the buttons link to a page on my site, the button is permanently in the hover state whilst the page is displayed.

I'd assumed that a MouseOver layer was just that - it would only be shown during hover - and that to make the effect persist in MouseDown, I'd have to add another layer and duplicate the effect there.

How can I make my site display the hover effect only on MouseOver and not on MouseDown?

Default Re: MouseOver without MouseDown?

Do you have a MouseDown layer? By default you should only have a MouseOff and a MouseOver layer.

Also, MouseOver button state is the highlighted button state for the current page.

If you create a MouseDown layer and a separate button state then this will display as the selected page button.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Also, MouseOver button state is the highlighted button state for the current page.
    This is the problem. MouseOver should only highlight when the cursor is over the shape. If I wanted it to stay highlighted for the selected page, then I should create that through a MouseDown layer.

I have tried creating a MouseDown layer and as you say, this then displays as the selected page button. But that's a problem, because the button then doesn't highlight on hover. Is there a way I can have MouseOver to create hover effects, but not have those effects persist to highlight the active page?

Make sure the MouseDown layer is above the MouseOver layer. Hence

MouseDown
    MouseOver
    MouseOff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layer Order.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	122110  

Both Garys, Xara's coding is such if you use the internal Link > Link to > Page: Page filename then it recognises that there is no need for a click link to the same page. Consequently, you have a Visited Link button, without a click link instead. It is not a MouseDown effect, it is the MouseOver set fully on, hence visited.

To overcome this, I use Link > Link to Web address > filename.htm; the extension is required. The button remains in its MouseOff state with a link to the same page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah yes, this reminds me of another item for the wish list. If you are on a sub menu page there is no indication on the navigation bar. I do have a work around but it is tedious and should not be necessary.

Ah yes, this reminds me of another item for the wish list. If you are on a sub menu page there is no indication on the navigation bar. I do have a work around but it is tedious and should not be necessary.
    Gary, my workaround is not to use the Xara NavBar approach, which clutters up a site with fragments of text embedded in images for each button state.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, my work around is to just create my own buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I use Link > Link to Web address > filename.htm; the extension is required. The button remains in its MouseOff state with a link to the same page.
    Thanks, Acorn. I've been experimenting and had figured that I could achieve what I needed by using an anchor point at the top of the relevant pages and then linking to that. Your solution is neater, though, so I'll switch to that.

It is annoying that this is necessary, though, and a shame that Xara doesn't allow four layers: MouseOff, MouseOver, MouseDown, and Active.

Yes, my work around is to just create my own buttons.
    How do you make sub-menus then, Gary? I've tried not using navbars, but there's a Xara-confirmed bug with links on pop-up layers in sites with variants - the links don't work in Safari on iOS. This big was a show-stopper for my approach to building menus and I had to use a navbar instead.