Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to view only elements within my designated page dimensions?

I used GIMP before moving to Xara. In GIMP, you could have a set canvas and anything outside of that canvas was hidden from view. I found that quite handy, as I was able to see exactly what my image would look like once exported.

I have my page size set as 1200 x 1200 and I can see a white background of that size. But when I import an image larger than the page, there is no indication of where my page borders actually are.

I've been using guides for the time being, but it's not the best solution. Hopefully someone here will have some insight?

Default Re: How to view only elements within my designated page dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Poots View Post
    I used GIMP before moving to Xara. In GIMP, you could have a set canvas and anything outside of that canvas was hidden from view. I found that quite handy, as I was able to see exactly what my image would look like once exported.
    I have my page size set as 1200 x 1200 and I can see a white background of that size. But when I import an image larger than the page, there is no indication of where my page borders actually are.
    I've been using guides for the time being, but it's not the best solution. Hopefully someone here will have some insight?
    You could just use Preview to see what is truncated.

You could use Windows > View Quality > Outlines with Windows > New View to toggle between views.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

ProBoots,

You can create a new layer above your existing layer. Create rectangle/square larger than your workspace and cut a section out of that shape the same size as your workspace out of it. Then make the remaking shape the same color as the space surrounding your workspace.

You can then turn that new layer on and off at will to see the effects of your drawing.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Or select the photo & apply a 50% transparency. Move, resize as required. When happy remove the transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sizing.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	121786  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Are we talking about print or web pages here?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went with your idea, Ron Duke. Stroke of genius there!

It's for social media 'factoids'. We have a fact over-layed on top of a relevant image. It's a set template, so I just needed a way to pop an image behind the text without doing much else besides resizing it.

Thanks again. Been a big help!

Clip View might be another option?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Poots View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went with your idea, Ron Duke. Stroke of genius there!

It's for social media 'factoids'. We have a fact over-layed on top of a relevant image. It's a set template, so I just needed a way to pop an image behind the text without doing much else besides resizing it.

Thanks again. Been a big help!
    See?! I can do something right every once in a while!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Enjoy Ron, it's an ever decreasing success as the years roll by
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think if I wanted to do this, I would enable snap, show the rulers and drag ruler guides to the page edges. Then lonk the guides (and make sure I am then on layer one...).

While it doesn't hide things off-page like in other applications (ID, QXP, Affinity designer, et al), I could see where the page edges are. fwiw, I never use the capability in other applications either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002068.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	121807