Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website doesn't land properly when opened

So when you land on the website, depending on your screen size, it doesn't always open properly. See screen shot.

What can I do to make sure that it moves into the center of the screen, or that the content is moved to the right a bit when it opens?

Thanks much,
    Sue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beardieart-left side not right.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	121754

Default Re: Website doesn't land properly when opened

Hi Sue, can't tell a lot from that screen-grab Got a url?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I can duplicate the appearance of your screen grab by resizing my Firefox browser window (horizontally making it narrower) and if I continue to resize it gets about half way over the B of Beard before changing to the mobile variant. It looks like you only have the two variants. Perhaps a third size in between would help?

BK is spot on Sue. From what I can see your Main site is 1120px wide. Any particular reason to use this width? People often feel on designing a website that they need to create one that fills their home monitor at full screen. That's okay if you are creating a responsive website, but Xara doesn't create responsive websites it creates adaptive websites (variants). So unless you wish to create several variant sizes I'd suggest creating your main website pages @ around 1000px wide and a single mobile variant @ around 480 wide.

Ask yourself this question: With my large monitor, how many sites do I browse in full-screen, I suspect very few and those that you do only have a main content of about 1000-1200px wide regardless of the browser width (They may have stretchy images etc but the main content normally resides within the 1000px region).

I'd suggest resizing your main page down to 960-1000px and see if this solves your problem.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

That's true, BKjohns, except that what confuses me that it lands on my tablet perfect!

Sue

Egg, I'm not sure why I made it that size, perhaps to fit the content on the pages better..not sure.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just wrote in response to BKJohns, and it baffles me that it lands perfectly onto a tablet!

Good thoughts!

I have another question about presentation sites..will ask it separately!

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I'd suggest creating your main website pages @ around 1000px wide and a single mobile variant @ around 480 wide.
    Did it and you both were right!
    Thanks bunches,
    Sue

Sue, I believe it works on your tablet as mobiles and tablets have the in-built ability to resize a page to fit.
    Egg