Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PDF Preview

Lightbulb PDF Preview

Dear Xara...

For a long time I had assumed that the PDF export was based on the HTML preview. I am now much the wiser.

Why is there not a PDF Preview that would then show up the differences that a HTML page preview fails to flag?
    The current PDF Export route is six clicks or selections.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: PDF Preview

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the problem your trying to solve here is objects not showing up on HTML preview then why PDF in particular? They are two entirely different formats serving different purposes that pass through entirely different filters.

Would it not be better to address the cause of why an object is not appearing in preview (such as wrong layer)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if the problem your trying to solve here is objects not showing up on HTML preview then why PDF in particular? They are two entirely different formats serving different purposes that pass through entirely different filters.
    Would it not be better to address the cause of why an object is not appearing in preview (such as wrong layer)?
    Cheers Rob, mainly the other way around.

The attached document highlights three differences: (1) Text with a Line Width (Fred); (2) Text colour (Settings); (3) Bevel's colour.
    All different.

It would be nice to see adjacent outputs, especially for DTP purposes.

PDF Preview Example.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Not 100% sure I'm following you here Acorn but in my visual thinking here's the differences I see between the HTML export & the PDF export:

I'd expect the Text Colour (Settings) & Bevel Colours to remain the same over both exports. However Text with a Line Width (Fred) I wouldn't expect a stroke on an html text. It would be great to see a PDF preview, if that's what you're asking for (or am I totally missing the point)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf-preview.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	121771  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The PDF should look ideally exactly has you have designed it on the page, if it doesn't then it sounds like a bug and it would be better to invest time in fixing them than trying to make a quick preview on what should be exactly your page.

I'm pretty sure the problem with the bevels on PDF export has been logged. It's likely not given as high priority over other bugs. If your Exporting to CMYK then obviously there's the colour calibration issue which needs some time investment from the developers.

HTML also doesn't support text outline which is why that preview would appear different than exporting to PDF.

As i said early on, I do understand a bit more about PDF being different to what is on the screen. It is tedious to Export PDF to see what is different.

For text, it is possible to add vector strokes using CSS or even targeted shadows to present a font with an outline.
    I already did a Dear Xara on this.

Happy the bevel is recorded already.

I used a Xara "Blue" and expected the PDF to render properly. I thought it was RGB and not CMYK.
    My bad for not checking, which is the whole point of using a PDF Preview.

I would have thought an extra PDF button on the Preview page would have little additional coding involved other that a temporary filename as the PDF setting last used as available as a default.

Acorn

We've lived with the bevels.

If you desire an object with the bevel + rainbow or alt rainbow to hit a PDF, either make a bitmap copy (it will be bitmap anyway) or convert to editable shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    We've lived with the bevels.
    If you desire an object with the bevel + rainbow or alt rainbow to hit a PDF, either make a bitmap copy (it will be bitmap anyway) or convert to editable shapes.
    I appreciate there will be lots of workarounds but eventually a product lives on dies on its evolution.

In raising a Dear Xara I am nor proclaiming this it the be all and end all of everything that needs fixing, just one more cry into the dark.

Acorn

It's not a commonly reported bug either. Fixed if we can, otherwise will have to wait for more commonly reported / serious bugs to be fixed first.

It's not a common reported thing because it's rather tacky in a print publication. I haven't seen such things in a print publication since the 1980s and 1990s.

Yes, fix other things that are more relevant.