Name:	sketch-renewal.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	122084
    IP

Default Re: The right thing to do

Radical.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Agreed ... It's the right thing to do.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

It really is that simple.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

An aha moment for magixara perhaps?
    IP

It could be so easy.
    IP

@pauland - we do have a mechanism for delivering critical bug fixes, even after expiry. We described it in our Update Service doc (see https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ting-Explained) but I'm happy to improve that wording if you don't think it's clear.

If I re-download the version I purchased after my Update Service has expired, how will I get any bug fixes you release? If there are bug fixes we consider critical we release a point update. For example Designer Pro 12.6.0 was followed by 12.6.1 and 12.6.2 which had bug fixes but no new features. If you are entitled to 12.6.0 and download it, it will automatically update to 12.6.2, even if 12.6.2 was released after your Update Service expired.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    @pauland - we do have a mechanism for delivering critical bug fixes, even after expiry. We described it in our Update Service doc (see https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ting-Explained) but I'm happy to improve that wording if you don't think it's clear.

If I re-download the version I purchased after my Update Service has expired, how will I get any bug fixes you release? If there are bug fixes we consider critical we release a point update. For example Designer Pro 12.6.0 was followed by 12.6.1 and 12.6.2 which had bug fixes but no new features. If you are entitled to 12.6.0 and download it, it will automatically update to 12.6.2, even if 12.6.2 was released after your Update Service expired.
    I think the common perception has been that that was not the case - glad to hear that it is.

Note how much clearer and concise the Sketch FAQ is.

Also note that Sketch allows people to access cloud documents even after their subscription has expired - something that Xara should think about - retaining access to any online catalog content accessed during the subscription period in a document created when the subscription was live would be helpful.

The subscription model is deeply unpopular and a few tweaks would go some way to taking the sting out of the tail.

I use Sketch ( a design programme for Mac ), and decided I didn't need an immediate update when my subscription finished. Now I've judged that an update is worthwhile and so I have renewed my subscription. At all stages I felt that Bohemian Software had taken care not to make things difficult when I didn't renew my subscription and to make it very easy to renew it. I'd like to see Xara have that kind of relationship with the customer base once again.

Thanks for responding Kate.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster
    If there are bug fixes we consider critical....
    that is the sting in the tail - what the company thinks is not-critical may be critical to users, especially if is was something broken by an previous update as appears to be the case with the PDF issue ernie-f posted up...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    that is the sting in the tail - what the company thinks is not-critical may be critical to users, especially if is was something broken by an previous update as appears to be the case with the PDF issue ernie-f posted up...
    There is very little software that has no bugs.

Every company that creates software will only fix some of their bugs in any given release, so if a subscription runs out and a bug is fixed in a later release then the path to accessing it is to renew the subscription or move to an alternative. It's just the real world.

Companies need money for bug fixes and that doesn't come from people who aren't subscribed.

I mentioned Sketch and the fact that I dropped out of the subscription. I'm sure my software had bugs, but nothing I was concerned about. If I was concerned and the bug became fixed it is entirely right that I should pay for a new subscription to fund the ongoing development.

I don't feel that Xara does anything different to any other company in this respect - it was long discussed that a user would lose bug fixes occurring since the last point release, but Kate has said that that is not the case.

I think some bugs have persisted in Xara software for years, haven't they?

Am I missing something?
    IP