Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: RSS feed to integrate into Xara website

Quote Originally Posted by garycwood84 View Post
    Thanks, Acorn! All working now. Just finalising other bits of the site and then I'll be ready to launch!
    Really appreciate all your help with this.
    Gary, good to hear. Glad I was of some help,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn,

I've hit a bit of a snag with this. As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I need the RSS Feed to display in a particular font. I'd specified that font in the Surfing Waves RSS feed, and thought it was working. But it turns out that it was only working on my computer because I have the relevant font installed. It doesn't work on other machines.

I'm trying to add it as a webfont, by adding the following to the CSS file for Surfing Waves:

Code:
    @font-face{font-family:"TUoS Blake";src:url("assets/tuosblake.eot");src:local("☺"), url("assets/tuosblake.woff") format("woff");font-style:normal;}
    @font-face{font-family:"TUoS Blake";src:url("assets/tuosblake-bold.eot");src:local("☺"), url("assets/tuosblake-bold.woff") format("woff");font-style:bold;}
    I'm then setting the font for the feed-container to be "TUoS Blake". This has previously worked fine for me with other aspects of my site, but it's not working here.

Do you have any ideas what might be wrong?

Gary

@Acorn,

I've hit a bit of a snag with this. As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I need the RSS Feed to display in a particular font. I'd specified that font in the Surfing Waves RSS feed, and thought it was working. But it turns out that it was only working on my computer because I have the relevant font installed. It doesn't work on other machines.

I'm trying to add it as a webfont, by adding the following to the CSS file for Surfing Waves:

Code:
    @font-face{font-family:"TUoS Blake";src:url("assets/tuosblake.eot");src:local("☺"), url("assets/tuosblake.woff") format("woff");font-style:normal;}
    @font-face{font-family:"TUoS Blake";src:url("assets/tuosblake-bold.eot");src:local("☺"), url("assets/tuosblake-bold.woff") format("woff");font-style:bold;}
    I'm then setting the font for the feed-container to be "TUoS Blake". This has previously worked fine for me with other aspects of my site, but it's not working here.

Do you have any ideas what might be wrong?

Gary
    Gary, I don't know much. The font-face code needs to be very early in the head. Also, is the font, WOFF file(s), actually on your destination server under the assets folder?

See if anything helps in https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/ or http://nicewebtype.com/notes/2009/10...css-font-face/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn. I've figured out what the problem is, but not got a solution yet. When I look at the site with Developer Tools in Google Chrome, I see an error that says:

Access to font at https://my-font-address from origin https://feed.surfing-waves.com has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin https://feed.surfing-waves.com is therefore not allows access.
    I don't suppose you've got any ideas how I grant access, have you?!

I've fixed it!

In case it's useful to anyone else, the answer is here: https://davidwalsh.name/cdn-fonts

One final snag, @Acorn (I'm sure this will be the last...!)...

When I resize the browser window and hit one of my variants' breakpoints, the RSS feed disappears and I have to refresh to make it load again. I think I need some script to make the frame refresh after resize? Any ideas?

The page his here, if you want to see what I mean: https://www.sela-sheffield.org/newsite/news.htm

Info Re: RSS feed to integrate into Xara website

One final snag, @Acorn (I'm sure this will be the last...!)...
    When I resize the browser window and hit one of my variants' breakpoints, the RSS feed disappears and I have to refresh to make it load again. I think I need some script to make the frame refresh after resize? Any ideas?
    The page his here, if you want to see what I mean: https://www.sela-sheffield.org/newsite/news.htm
    Gary, I thought part of the problem may be that the RSS Feed parameters still have the width as 920px. The IFRAME seems to respond all right for the smallest Variant without a refresh. So discount setting up three different feeds for now.

I shall assume you will always have jQuery loaded. So you could add a Placeholder to just refresh the IFRAME on the browser resize:
    <script>
    $(window).resize(function(){
    document.getElementById('rssfeed_frame').contentDo cument.location.reload(true);});
    </script>
    It is a bit of a sledgehammer but it should work. You could include width ranges that would trigger the code but it gets quite messy to write, test and maintain.

Acorn

Thank you, Acorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary, I thought part of the problem may be that the RSS Feed parameters still have the width as 920px. The IFRAME seems to respond all right for the smallest Variant without a refresh. So discount setting up three different feeds for now.
    Not sure I understand this. There are three variants: 960px, 700px, and 400px. Whenever one of those breakpoints is hit, the iframe contents disappear until they page is refreshed.

Can I just confirm: where on the page should I put the refresh code you supplied? In the "Body" section of the Page Properties?

Edit: I've tried that - Web Properties > Page > HTML Code Insertion > Body and pasted the code you sent me, but it doesn't seem to be working, so I think I must have misunderstood.

Thank you, Acorn.
    Not sure I understand this. There are three variants: 960px, 700px, and 400px. Whenever one of those breakpoints is hit, the iframe contents disappear until they page is refreshed.
    Can I just confirm: where on the page should I put the refresh code you supplied? In the "Body" section of the Page Properties?
    Edit: I've tried that - Web Properties > Page > HTML Code Insertion > Body and pasted the code you sent me, but it doesn't seem to be working, so I think I must have misunderstood.
    I would have gone for the head myself as it need to be viewed by all the Variants.

Acorn

Thanks, Acorn. I've added the code to the page head for the News page, where the RSS feed is, but it's still not working. Do I need to add anything else?